• According to Dictionary.com, the
definition of plagiarism is described as
an act or instance of using or closely
imitating the language and thoughts of
another author without authorization
and the representation of that authors
work as one’s own, as by not crediting
the original author
Why is plagiarism wrong?
• You are taking the credit for someone
else's work, which is lying and stealing
• You are showing disrespect to you
classroom peers who have worked hard
to do their own work
• You show disrespect to your teacher and
have them question your honesty and
• You are cheating
• Plagiarism is against the law
• If you are researching, writing a paper,
or taking what you know from a book
or website, it is important to always put
it in your own words!
• Never copy something word-for-word
• Plagiarism is not necessary to get your
• If writing a paper, the teacher could
allow the students to draw a piece of
paper the day that the paper is due.
Whichever student draws the piece of
paper with the black dot, that paper will
be thoroughly checked for plagiarism.
This method makes sure that the students
to not plagiarize because there is a
chance that they will draw the black dot.
If the teacher finds that the student has
plagiarized, their grade will show it.
• There are many programs that can be
downloaded or used to check for
• We will now go to a few of the websites to
see the differences.
• For an assignment, I will give each
student a slip of paper with a different
paragraph on it. The student’s job is to
re-write the paragraph in their own
words. This is a good way to make sure
the students know what they can do to
avoid plagiarism. It is also good for the
teacher because he or she can see
which student understands and which
students may need remediation.