VermontThe Green Mountain State“Freedom and Unity”By Will
• Vermont is located inthe northeastern part ofthe U.S.A.• It is bordered byMassachusetts, NewYork, New Hampshireand Quebec.• It is the 45 largest stateand people who livethere are calledVermonters.
• The state capital isMontpelier.• The three largest citiesare:– 1. Burlington– 2. South Burlington– 3. Rutland• Vermont’s population is626,011.• It ranks 49 in population.• The governor is PeterShumlin.
• The state bird is theHermit Thrush.• The state flower is theTrifolium PratenseClover.
• The state tree is theAcer Saccharum SugarMaple.• The state butterfly isthe Monarch.• The state animal is theMorgan Horse.
• 77% of Vermont iscovered by forests.• Vermont is also famousfor its Green Mountains.• The biggest lake inVermont is LakeChamplain.
Industry andAgriculture• Vermont hasmarble, granite andslate quarries.• Vermont has dairyfarming but the numberof farms has decreased85% since 1947.• Vermont is the biggestproducer of maplesyrup.I have seen this quarry
Famous People• President ChesterArthur• President CalvinCoolidge• John Deere• Ethan Allen and TheGreen Mountain Boys
Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain BoysDuring the Revolutionary War, Ethan Allen formed a Vermont militiacalled The Green Mountain Boys. They captured Fort Ticonderoga fromthe British.
Tourism – Pico Mountain• Vermont has many skiresorts like Picomountain, Killington, andSugarbush.• Pico is located nearRutland, Vermont.• It is great all year –round. Ihave hiked up it in thesummer and skied down itin the winter.• Hiking is free. Lift ticketscost $65 for an adult and$50 for a child on theweekends.
Tourism – Green Mountain SuzukiInstitute (Family Music Camp)• Vermont is very beautiful inthe summer.• At Music Camp I learn toplay my violin and alsospend time playing my newfriends.• The Green Mountain SuzukiInstitute is inRochester, Vermont which isright next to the GreenMountain National Forest.• The institute takes place inJuly each year but I don’tknow how much it costs.
• The Shelburne Museum isin Shelburne, Vermont.• It is 45 acres and has 39different buildings to see.My favorite are the oldsteamship and thecarousel.• The cost is $22 for anadult and $11 for a kid.• The museum is open fromMay to December eachyear.Tourism – Shelburne Museum
Conclusion• I think that this is a great state because it is rural andthere are not lots of people or crowds.• You can own lots of land.• It is also nice and cool, not hot like Florida.• I was surprised to learnabout the statebutterfly.• It was special for me toresearch Vermontbecause I love to visit mygrandparents there asmuch as I can.