What is CV Screening At the time of hiring candidates, for a company, the choice of the potential candidate is done by taking a look at their names, qualifications, DOB, previous work experience and other such details. But it doesn’t stop at that. The candidate is required to communicate well for certain jobs, in addition to possessing many other skills. This is when a CV screening process ought to come in place.
Best practices to be followed for CV screeningFew best practices can be followed for cvscreening when taking candidates on board youremployee team.
1. Make sure to attract the right applicant for your jobThere are certain job applicants who apply for just anything that comes their way even if there are remote chances of qualification. Try and be specific on the roles and accomplishments of your ideal applicant. Just the educational background and work experience may not always suffice.
2. Go beyond the keyword usage Using certain keywords like ‘technology ‘ in thejob description, can give rise to many jobapplicants who have learnt the trick of usingsuch keywords, frequently in their resumes.Focus on the CV’s that emphasize more onwhere and when the technical skill has beenused. One thing to keep in mind whilebackground screening is to look for keywordsthat show under the bulleted sections within theCV.
3. Seek help from applicant tracking system If your applicant tracking system enables you toapply questions on it, create a simplequestionnaire and rank your applicants based onthe results. Set questions that can extract detailson the key technologies used, skillsaccomplishments, and the experience in usingother specific tools.
4. Get a skill test analysis If you find too many capable applicants, and areunable to judge, you could consider leveragingan applicant skill-test online. The short-listedapplicants could participate and complete theassigned test. Based on the results, you canprioritize your candidates for the telephonicinterview.
5. Fine tune the CVs before the phonescreening: Prior to phone screening, the recruiter shouldtake time to carefully analyze the candidatureunder consideration. The recruiter must highlightany additional underlined skills that have madethe CV qualify to this level of selection at thetime of reference checking. A thorough check onthe relevancy of the skill needs to be done inorder to take it further. This phase should ideallysave the time going forward, to all involved inthe process.
Importance of CV Screening Scrutinizing the CV is an essential part of the HR process. It helps in distinguishing the resumes as per company’s requirements and in differentiating between strong and weak CVs. This would be the only way for the companies to fill up their precious seats with skilled performers who only can guarantee success.