In what ways does your media product use,
develop or challenges forms and conventions
of real media products?
What are media forms & conventions?
• A form is the overall shape of a media product and will
typically determine the medium that is used, the length of
the product, and the content that is contained.
• Conventions are the established features and style of a
• Conventions can be split into technical conventions (how
it is filmed, edited, lit, …) and symbolic conventions (how
costumes, colour, performance,…, are used).
• Conventions make it easier for an audience to understand
what type of text they are consuming and enable them to
situate a song and artist within a musical genre.
• We used close ups of our
artist to build recognition of
our artist and also emphasise
the link to the song .
• Moreover we used dolly shots
to add movements to the
image and match the
movement of the fabric and
mirror the movement of the
music. These shots also
helped to give depth to our
• We found these conventions in
the music video by FK Twigs
and although our close up
wasn’t as extreme we found
that it worked very well
• Moreover we used mid shots
of Simy to show her smooth
body language and emphasise
her costume and attitude to
give an inside in her as an
artist and her star image.
• We found similar conventions
used in the music video Born
To Die and thought these
shots worked very well to
show of her style and beauty
in the video and thus decided
to use them.
• We also used a 85mm lens to
show the detail og her face
and make her look extremely
• Looking for more ideas we
searched into slightly
different genres and found
overlaid shots in
Rihanna’s video. Although
she is more pop/ R’n’B we
thought that we could still
use this convention
• We thus cooperated it into
our video and thought that
it worked extremely way
as it made our video more
• These overlaid shots combined with cross-cutting also
helped us to convey her image as one which is different
and away from mainstream.
• Moreover we researched into more videos of our genre
and found a lot oft them used rhythmic editing
• An example we looked at was Lorde’s video to Tennis
• We thus used cutting on the beat to reflect the music in
our video and thought that it worked very well as a
convention and helped us to represent not only the artists
but also the video.
• For set and lighting we looked at
videos form our genre and found
that there was a lot of stylised
setting, which seemed very
interesting and intriguing to us.
• Thus we created our own set out
of chiffon material and used gold
and black colours to make it look
very luxurious and beautiful.
• We also found the convention of
rather soft and dark lighting which
we used and thought worked
really well to highlight the
• For our digipak we researched into
similar artists and found that for our
genre close-ups were not often
used. The focus was more on an
original and different style and look.
Thus we went for something darker,
featuring our artists in a whole body
shot. Moreover we found the fonts
used were mostly quite modern and
stylish. This really helped us to find
ideas and also supported the stylish
image we wanted to create overall.
• For the stills we used in our digipak
we researched into fashion shoots as
well as we tried to create a very
aesthetically beautiful and glamorous
image. This really helped us although
it wasn’t a digipak we found a lot of
inspiration in those images. We then
used a similar styling for our styling
for the pictures we used in the
digipak. This really helped us to
achieve the look we wanted our artist
to have an convey her image.
• For our website we also looked into
conventions of our genre and thus
researched into similar artists’ websites.
We found they all featured social media
pages such as Facebook, twitter and thus
added those to our website as well.
• We also found that a news section as well
as tour dates, videos and a photo gallery
were common, we thus included these on
our website and we thought this worked
well as it gave us ideas to what the
audience would want to see. Moreover
through videos and photos on the website
we could support the star image very well.
• We also found that basic, thin and modern
designs were used commonly and decided
to thus go for a similar design which
worked well with the stylish image we
wanted to represent.