You’re Already Connected Online
Parents of Friends
Clubs or Meet Ups
What Do You Need?
– Career Advice
• What types of entry level jobs to look at
• What other industries/companies to look at
• How they got started in their career
– Company Information
• What do they like about the company
• How did they get their foot in the door
• How do jobs get filled (recruiters, posting, etc.)
Requesting A Meeting Will
• Build a closer relationship
• Tap into their knowledge/expertise
• Establish trust/familiarity
• Showcase some of your skills/expertise
• Lay groundwork for future meeting
You interested in
learning from them
“Top of mind”
awareness of your
I want to
What do you have in
What 2-3 skills do you
want to be known for?
What are you most
Types of problems can
What's the best
What trends do you see in
the future that will affect
your organization and
What is the greatest
demand for your services
If this company was
known for 3 things as a
workplace, what would
What are the qualities of
people who perform best
in this business?
do I ask?
• What did you think of the speaker?
• What part of the talk really
resonated with you?
• What prompted you to come here
• Have you been to one of these
• What’s been the best session for
• Who have you enjoyed meeting so
• What session are you most looking
• How’s your week going?
• How’s business?
• Have you seen any movies
• Have you got any plans to get
• How do you enjoy spending
your free time?
• What led you to set up your own
business/be an accountant etc?
• What’s the best part of your job?
Tag line (value proposition)
Phone, Email, LinkedIn URL
Online portfolio/social media
Ways to Show Appreciation
Pay for their coffee/tea/chai
Send an interesting article
Introduce them to someone you know
Offer to share what you know
Lend or give a book
Look for opportunities to promote them or
Identify 5 people to meet over the next
Attend one professional association
Listen for opportunities to: offer help, share
information, or connect with someone