Talk presented by Daniel James at GDC Worlds in Motion Summit 2009.3.23. Daniel is CEO of Three Rings, creators of Puzzle Pirates and Whirled. This talk is an introduction to metrics for MMOs and contains real data from Puzzle Pirates and Whirled.
1. Metrics for a Brave New Whirled Daniel James | CEO | Three Rings www.threerings.net [email_address]
2. What is Whirled? Player-created Flash virtual world Rooms, avatars, toys, games, music, etc. Social network ‘geography’ (home rooms == profiles, etc.) Flash single and multi-player games to accrue ‘Coins’ (‘play money’) Shop for player creations, comments, ratings, etc. ‘ Bars’, hard currency bought for $$$ Third ‘cash-out’ currency ‘Bling’ earned by creators on Bar sales Small, engaged beta community ~20,000 weekly registered active
10. What is Puzzle Pirates? Casual MMO Broad demographics: Ages 7-70, ‘Double Bump’, 50/50 Male/Female Signed Java Applet, ~60mb, installs from web Subscriptions since launch Oct 2003 Virtual currency business model since Feb 2005 2007 Revenues $4M, ~$3M virtual currency ‘Doubloons’
11. Puzzle Pirates Metrics Conversion (from landing to registration): ~5% Retention (returning after one month): ~35%,~25% into month 2 Paid Customer Conversion (registration to revenue): ~3.5% Average Customer Lifetime Value : ~$120 Average Registrant ‘Value’: $4.20 Registered Players since 2004: 4,200,312 Customers since 2004: 90,197 ‘Doubloons’, 68,807 Subscription Current active players: ~110,000 Active paying players: ~30,000 Average Hours played per player per month: 21
36. Item Sales Distribution (PP) Products mix of Vanity (clothes, furniture) and Utility (ships, swords) Coin shop, Mostly personal utility, some gifting, all recurring (mini-subscriptions) Portraits, vanity, often groups Rooms / Houses, sometimes group