Michael J. Bystry
5228 Castlestone Drive; Rosedale, MD 21237
(571) 265-5270; Michaelbystry@yahoo.com
• Versatile professional with research experience in corporate and government settings conducting
interviews, analyzing data, producing reports, and internal performance consulting.
• Seeking opportunity to utilize primary research skills in research design, survey writing, and data
analysis with a market research firm or department to provide solutions to clients’ business questions.
Quantitative Research Experience
• Year-long practicum with an international data mining company to identify brand loyal customers through
the use of supermarket scanner data for food products and household goods.
• Built a market simulator to help a bakery to optimize product offerings.
• Conducted a pricing regression analysis to help a university determine competitive tuition rates.
• Investigated the potential interest among students for an on-campus DVD kiosk rental.
• Segmented users of kitchen cleaner products to better identify their cleaning habits and product needs.
• Launched monthly transactional customer survey satisfaction for inbound technical support center. Provided
monthly report and analysis of results and verbatims.
• Provided ongoing longitudinal tracking, reporting, and analysis over 3 years for service metrics for inbound
technical support center that resulted in a reduction of average speed of answer by 50% and customer
abandon rate by 75%.
• Provided ongoing longitudinal tracking, reporting, and analysis over 3 years for service metrics from
customer returns and repairs for multiple products to identify backlog and fault analysis.
• Provided ongoing longitudinal tracking, reporting, and analysis for 1.5 years of service metrics of global
installation orders for a telecommunications service provider. Analyzed data and negotiated with country
managers to set standard Service Level Agreement delivery targets for new contracts; expanded analysis
and global standards to encompass multiple product lines.
• Provided ongoing longitudinal tracking, reporting, and analysis for 3.5 years of service metrics of network
performance and customer satisfaction measures for a telecommunications service provider. Used
customer satisfaction feedback to determine service improvement plans and measured performance
against those plans.
• Built probabilistic forecasting model to estimate risk associated with lifecycle costs for US Army program
build and operate chemical weapons destruction facilities resulting in additional $1 billion of funding.
Qualitative Research Experience
• Conducted IDIs with military, government, and contractor specialist to determine potential risks to a
chemical weapons destruction program and collect inputs into forecasting model.
• Conducted IDIs with American tourism professionals for opinions on negotiated trade agreements.
• Conducted IDIs with Thai and American government, non-governmental, and business persons to
investigate the potential of the electric cogeneration market in Thailand.
• Recruited financial services professionals for participation in USITC survey on the commercial risks and
costs of US government and state government unilateral economic sanctions.
• Administered surveys in-person to guests staying at six American youth hostels and summarized results for
study on desired amenities at American hostels.
• Recruited and administered telephone survey for human resources professionals at 100 Maryland-based
public companies on Cafeteria-style health benefits and summarized results.
• Recruited individuals, administered screeners, and administered surveys to mall shoppers for multiple CPG
products and companies, including: Taste tests for food products; Advertising campaign for new frozen
drink mix product; Discrete choice for drink prices/value meals at fast food restaurants
Michael Bystry Page 2 of 2
• Led cross-functional team that implemented enhancements to a support center ticket system, such as
web ticketing, auto notification, and alert mechanisms to notify staff of possible service level breaches.
Wrote requirements documentation based on user feedback; prioritized development work with users,
IT department, and vendor; pre-tested completed work; and authorized items into production.
• Led cross-functional team to complete, maintain, and enhance a data warehouse reporting tool. Wrote
requirements documentation, specified metrics calculations, prioritized development work, pre-tested
new reports, and authorized items into production.
Andrew Corporation, Metrics and Performance Analyst, Ashburn, VA, 2004-2008
Equant, Senior Performance Manager, Herndon, VA, 1999-2004
United States International Trade Commission, Trade Analyst, Washington, DC, 1998
Science Applications International Corporation, Program Analyst, Abington, MD, 1995-1997
United States & Foreign Commercial Service, U.S. Embassy, Commercial Analyst, Thailand, 1994
Hostelling International, Marketing Research Assistant, Washington, DC, Spring 1993
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Maryland, Marketing Research Assistant, Owings Mills, MD, Spring 1992
Assistance in Marketing, Mall Intercept Interviewer, Baltimore, MD, Summer 1990
The University of Georgia, Master of Marketing Research, Athens, GA, May 2009
• Awarded full tuition waiver and Marketing Research Assistantship.
The University of Georgia Center for Continuing Education, Principles of Marketing Research, 2005
Thunderbird School of Global Management, Master of International Management, Glendale, AZ, 1995
• Thunderbird International Scholarship; graduated with Honors.
Loyola College of Maryland, Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing, Minor: Mathematics,
Baltimore, MD, 1992
• Summa Cum Laude; Loyola Presidential Scholarship; Marketing Medal for highest GPA in Major
• “Pushing Limits,” Many Hands, One Dream: The Story of Project Mexico, Loyola College, 2004.
• Chapter Author, General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS): Examination of the Schedules of
Commitments Submitted by Eastern Europe, the European Free Trade Association, and Turkey,
USITC, September 1998.
• Contributing Analyst, Overview and Analysis of Current U.S. Unilateral Economic Sanctions, USITC,
• Section Author, Recent Trends in U.S. Services Trade (1998 Annual Report), USITC, May 1998.
• Co-author, Chemical Demilitarization Schedule and Risk Assessment, US Army Program Manager for
Chemical Demilitarization, November 1997.
• Author, Industry Subsector Analysis: Co-generation Equipment in Thailand, Department of Commerce,
National Trade Databank, December 1994.
MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS PowerPoint, SPSS Basics and Intermediate level classes, Balanced
Scorecard, Crystal Reports, Qualtrics online survey tools, Basic SAS