OUR AUDIENCEAlong with this, we conducted a series of in depth research tosupport our ideas and help us design and come up withan appropriate concept that would match the youngeraudience but also the vegetarian audience.We decided to frame our recipe cards around a target demographic of students.We thought this would be an interesting idea and easy to relate to as we arestudents ourselves and therefor have a wider understanding of what appealsto a younger audience and what doesn’t.An example of research we conducted was a survey,this allowed us to look on a wider scale at whatappealed to our audience. We discovered fromthis that it would be an added benefit to thevegetarian market to stress the necessity ofhealthy eating and “5 A Day”.
With our designs, we decided to keep our ideas relatively easy to do. Although our final idea lookspretty busy the overall design was easy to accomplish.As a whole, we feel that our cards appeal to our audience as it is simplistic and shows all therelevant information in easy to read chunks. The images used show the food as a finishedproduct which will increase the likelihood of a person wanting to make said food.OUR CHOICES;We decided to keep our design ideas relatively easy to do. Although our final idea looks pretty busythe overall design was easy to accomplish.Also, we feel that our cards appeal to our audience as it is simplistic and shows all the relevantinformation in easy to read chunks. The images used show the food as a finished product whichwill increase the likelihood of a person wanting to make said food.
FONTS;In terms of fonts we chose to stick to fairly simple default fonts that came with Adobe Photoshop.The fonts we chose we feel give a sleek finish and are easy to read and navigate through. There isno jumbled text and everything is evenly size to appropriately fit a A5 sized piece of card.Upon looking at our final products we feel we could of gone a little further out of our comfort zoneand chose something more relatable and associated with students and youth.A serif font appears to be more suitable to an older audience for more fine dining and experiencedcooks that look more for design and visual appeal of a product rather than the context.
COLOUR SCHEME;Originally we started out with a green colour scheme using a variety of blues to highlight certainareas.After receiving feedback from peers we decided that changing our colour schemes for each cardwould be something to try.We decided to try and create a theme between the images/food that was used and the colour of thecard. For example for the Apple Muffins card primarily greens were used, this works well withthe green apple in the image.Overall some colours had to be used more than once and we decided to mostly opt for the use ofgradients of a light shade of a colour to a slightly darker shade of the same colour to give a niceeffect overall.
RECIPE SELECTION;When looking for suitable recipes, from a student point of view we wanted to preferably look for fun,easy recipes that could be done quickly as part of a short snack or something to share withfriends.We researched several sources to find our chosen 8 and our final results, we feel would appealmost in terms of innovative and interesting meals that you wouldn’t expect to see in traditionalcookery books.We also wanted to stress how important healthy eating is and also, additional tips on how to expandyour diet and how to approach cooking. Also it was vital that we stuck to the initial brief andprovided recipes suitable for a vegetarian audience, which we have done so in our final set.
OUTCOME;Overall, we liked our final design. We felt that it accomplished everythingthat we needed and had some nice little added extras. We feel that wehave designed a card that would appeal to our audience but also to themasses, there are subtle things that allow it to branch out past studentswhilst still remaining primarily for them.Everything that needs to be displayed is displayed clearly and is easy tounderstand for instance the nutritional values, method and ingredients.We also used a QR code generator to allow you to scan the code on thecard and it will directly link you to a YouTube video that acts as atutorial to creating the food.Small points that we could have improved on were choice of fonts, eventhough we did make some changes based around feedback that wereceived there were still some improvements that could have beenmade. We could have gone more out of our comfort zone to find a fontthat would have been more suitable for a student audience.