MariaDB: The New M
Open Paradigms in Education, OPEN’11
New Delhi, India
firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
@bytebot on Twitter
• LOAD DATA INFILE ‘foo.csv’ INTO TABLE
“The greatest problem
for opensource is
graduation” -- Keith
Aims for the day
• Harness more contributors to MariaDB
• Show you what’s available and where
contributions can be made
• Answer your queries, concerns
Have you ever...
• Submitted a bug report?
• Contributed to a Wiki page or
• Hopped on IRC, at #project?
• Uses some open source software?
• Evangelised about your favourite software?
• MySQL: open source product, not project
• Governance: Open Database Alliance, not
one corporate entity
What is MariaDB?
• A branch of MySQL with more features?
• A branch of MySQL with better features?
• A fork?
• 100% compatible, drop-in replacement
• Stable (bug-free) releases
• Data centre use, high performance use,
scale out use
What’s in MariaDB 5.1?
• Storage engines • Table elimination
• XtraDB, PBXT, • Thread pool
• Croatian collations
• Extended statistics for slow
query log • Bug ﬁxes
• PROCESSLIST with • Test cases and coverage
• Removal of mutexes
• All Google+Facebook
• Compiler warnings gone!
New in MariaDB 5.2
• Virtual columns • Group commit in Aria
• Pluggable authentication • Optimiser improvements
• Userstats v2 • Row based replication
• Partitioned MyISAM
keycache • CREATE TABLE can be
extended via storage
• New storage engines: engine API
• MySQL 5.1.53
How open are we?
• Mailing lists: Launchpad
• Code hosting: Launchpad
• Use the Sandbox
• Buying rights to books
• Database training is generally proprietary
• Is MariaDB/MySQL the best for today?
• Presentations, teach-the-trainer, exercises
• Videos? Audio podcasts?
• Interactive Flash?
• GFDL, CC-BY • Internationalisation next
Good test databases
• Sakila sample database, world database (used in
MySQL training) and menagerie database (used in a
book titled Beginning MySQL)
Contributing isn’t only
• Write a blog, talk about MariaDB
• MariaDB Ambassadors
• Write Knowledgebase entries/answer Q’s
• Package for your distribution of choice!
• There is no “one” tree • HandlerSocket: access
data in SQL/NoSQL
• MySQL, Percona, way; persistent storage;
high load usage
• GIS • MySQL + memcached is
• Batched Key Access
• PK lookups, cached
• Teach/learn principles, • Successful opensource
not a software package projects tend to need
per se corporate backers (not
• Opensource and open
content does not take
away jobs, it creates it
• but trust not their
and keeps proﬁts within educational materials!
the local economy
• Open core is not the
best for you
MP have meetings twice
• February 2010: Iceland
• October 2010: Istanbul, Turkey
• March 2011: Lisbon, Portugal
• All contributors are invited to attend
• #mariadb on irc.freenode.net
• Lists on launchpad