Oth er ‘too ls’ …!
Sl i deshare
and many more…
Can it be useful for learning?
YES … but there are some downsides, too!
– start slowly
– pick a few tools that suit you
– find people you know & respect to start with, grow
– don’t let it consume you!
– don’t forget about f2f relationships too!
How is a PLN Helpful?!
Screenshot from Wallwisher (www.wallwisher.com) courtesy of J. Evans
Social sites mentioned!
Bookmarking: Other sites:
Delicious: www.delicious.com Mindmeister: www.mindmeister.com
Diigo: www.diigo.com Wallwisher: www.wallwisher.com
Photo sharing: Scribd: www.scribd.com
Picassa: www.google.com Ustream: www.ustream.com
& many more!
Some Relevant References!
• Cormier, D. (2008). Rhizomatic education: Community as curriculum. Innovate. 4(5). Retrieved from http://
• Downes, S. (2005). E-learning 2.0. eLearn Magazine. Retrieved from
• Gee, J. (2005). Semiotic social spaces and affiity spaces: from the age of mythology to today’s schools. In D.
Barton and K. Tusting (Eds.). Beyond Communities of Practice: Language, Power and Social Context. (214-232).
New York, NY: Cambrdge University Press
• Lave, J. & Wenger, E. (1991). Situated learning: Legitimate peripheral participation. New York, NY: Cambrdge
• McCormick, R. (2004). Collaboration: The challenge of ICT. International Journal of Technology and Design
Education. 14, 159-176
• Rogoff, B. (2003). The cultural nature of human development. New York, NY: Oxford University Press
• Siemens, G. (2004). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. Elearnspace. Retrieved from http://
• Shirky, C. (2009). Here comes everybody: The power of organizing without organizations. New York, NY: Penguin
• Punie, Y. (2007). Learning spaces: an ICT-enabled model of future learning in the knowledge-based society.
European Journal of Education. 42(2). 185-199.
• Vygotsky, L. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Cole, John-Steiner,
Scribner & Souberman (ed). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press
• Wenger, E., White, N. Smith, J. (2009). Digital Habitats: stewarding technology for communities. Portland, OR:
Credits: images & video!
• Movie clips from: Carnival of Souls (1962) obtained from http://www.bnwmovies.com/carnival-of-souls.html
• Image (slide 3 ) : my Twitter background
• Image (slide 5) : mind map created on Mindmeister (www.mindmeister.com)
• Images (slide 6) : screenshots of my Diigo account (http://www.diigo.com/user/bumathman)
• Images (slide 7) : screenshots of my Picassa & Flickr accounts
• Images (slide 8) : screenshots from a Facebook Group & several Ning Groups I belong to or created.
• Image (slide 9) : “twitter bird” from www.twitter.com,
• Image (slide 12 ) : wallwisher (www.wallwisher.com) screenshot with permission of J. Evans
• Image (slide 13) : clock & quote: http://www.flickr.com/photos/klm_digital_snaps/3609249682/sizes/m/in/