Making social performfor your businessHello from TMW /! TMW is a creative digital agency based in Soho! We run social proﬁles for Unilever, Diageo, General Mills, Reckitt Benkiser & Sony Mobile! We help manage over 20 million fans and thousands of conversations every week.@TMWagency @buckers
Social for businessAgenda /! What is social media?! How do people use it?! How can you make the most of socialin business?! What are the top (free to use) toolsworth knowing about?@TMWagency @buckers
A business driverWhat is social media? /Social is a redeﬁnition of relationship between brands, organisations and people
Background to socialWhat is social media? /! Social networks allow people to link with others and share images, words and animated content! Based on either a free to use or ‘freemium’ basis! Provide organisations with paid and unpaid ways of reaching audiences! Integral experiences that are often undertaken on a second screen! A place where audiences spend a signiﬁcant amount of time.
Background to socialWhat is social media? /! Social is a combination of technology, platforms, content and behaviour! More than a communications platform – a means to build awareness, enable advocacy and loyalty,drive trafﬁc to other digital properties and deliver direct sales! Rapidly emerging as the business enabler for many organisations – social proof matters! Simple to do well! Business critical for many new and established businesses – pace in market and relationships! A clear means to create competitive differentiation.
A few interesting factsWhat is social media? /! Marketers place very high value on social media: 86% of marketers indicate that social media isimportant for their business! Tactics and engagement are top areas marketers want to master: 88% of marketers want to knowthe most effective social tactics and the best ways to engage their audience with social media! YouTube holds the top spot for future plans: 69% of marketers plan on increasing their use ofYouTube, making it the top area marketers will invest in for 2013! Marketers want to learn most about blogging: 58% of marketers are blogging, 62% want to learnmore about it and 66% plan on increasing blogging activities in 2013! Facebook and LinkedIn are the two most important social networks for marketers: When forced toonly select one platform, 49% of marketers selected Facebook, followed by LinkedIn at 16%! Most marketers arent sure their Facebook marketing is effective: 37% of marketers think that theirFacebook efforts are effective! Increased exposure is the top beneﬁt of social media marketing: 89% of marketers stated thatincreased exposure was the number one beneﬁt of social media marketing.Social Media Examiner, 2013.
The always onmarketing channelHow do people us it? /Social is to mobile what email was to the PC – a major contributor to adoption and use
Reasons why businesses use social mediaHow do people use it? /! To reach customers at multiple touch-points - 87%! Because customers are spending more time in social media – 62%! Chance to take message viral in social – 61%! Moving to ‘controversial’ marketing – 49%! Customers expect social presence – 47%! Social marketing cheaper/cost efﬁcient – 47%! Chance to reach new demographic – 45%! Segment customer using information from social – 20%! Corporate leadership expect social – 15%.Chief Marketers Survey, 2012
How to approach socialHow can you make the most of social in business? /
1. Social is about conversationsHow can you make the most of social in business? /Managing Starting Joining! Effective social strategies have considered how conversations can be sustained! Effective social management recognises the multi-layered aspects of social – from NPD, tocustomer service and marketing! Tools matter – more on this later.
FacebookTwitterYouTubeGooglePlusLinkedInEmergingplatformsBlogs2. Social is about platformsHow can you make the most of social in business? /! Not all social networks are the same! Successful strategies can use one ormany proﬁles! Scale matters, but so does active users,engagement and access via connecteddevices.
3. Social is about sharingHow can you make the most of social in business? /! Important to think like customers - whyshould I care, why should I share?! Good social strategies balance drivers forsharing – not reliant on giveaways and offers! Recognise that every act of sharing is areﬂection on the sharer’s self perception andidentity.InformationUtilityEntertainmentRewardIncentivePersonalexpression
Start in the right wayHow can you make the most of social in business? /! A clear strategy will ensure you gain maximum reward for your efforts! Foundational planning will help you maintain a sustained presence that creates value! Considered investment in the right platform and media will reduce wastage! A joined-up content plan will ensure your social efforts are timely and respond to opportunities.
1. Strategic planningWhat are the important things to know? /SetgoalsAlign socialintention to yourbusiness plan –simple &measurableRespond tocustomerinsightWhat value doyou want to create– what are theyalready sharingand why?Deﬁneplatform andparticipationstrategyDetermine whichplatforms you cansustain and whatyour contentapproach needsto be for eachTestand learnUnderstand howyour content andposting strategyis working.Understand reachand engagement.1 2 3 4
2. Operational planningWhat are the important things to know? /ClaimplatformsRegister yourbusiness/personalproﬁles andhandles.Create your bio/persona.Establish yourfollower/linkapproachDecide who youwant to link toand why.Determine whatyou want otherstaff to do.Keep yourposting/contentapproachsimplePost/respondfrequently.Respondto resultsUse platform back-end systems tooptimise activity.Don’t over think it.5 6 7 8
3. Don’t forget to cheatWhat are the important things to know? /Look at whatothers doLearn from othersand pinch bestpractice and keylearnings.Use mediatacticallyUnderstand thepaid options anduse these toextend youractivity.Get others todo the workfor youSocial isbargaining –ﬁnd what peoplewant and trade.RetrospectivestrategyDon’t be afraid tolook back and say‘that was alwaysthe plan, honest!’9 10 11 12
Top tools worth knowing about /! Allows you to control all of yoursocial media channels using onetool, across different platformsand proﬁles! Manage, maintain, schedule andcollaborate with different socialaccounts using just onedashboard! Also has analytics and report-building functions.www.hootsuite.com
Top tools worth knowing about /! Manage and monitor multipletwitter feeds on one dashboard! Often used for schedulingtweets.www.tweetdeck.com
Top tools worth knowing about /! Insights service for Twitter.Measures campaign reach andtranslates them into "digestible"advertising terms.! Perfect for companies new tosocial.www.tweetreach.com
1. HootsuiteTop tools worth knowing about /! Tracks the Twitter activity ofusers or subjects you select! You can "ask" Twitter Counterabout moods and behaviour onTwitter! Gauge sentiment for how peoplefeel about events or newproducts.www.hootsuite.com
Top tools worth knowing about /! A tool for measuring how muchinﬂuence a person has on asocial platform.! Everyone has a Klout scorebetween 1-100.www.klout.com
Top tools worth knowing about /! All in one programme, providingsocial media monitoring,analytics, engagement tools andapps development.www.socialappshq.com
Top tools worth knowing about /! Allows you to easilytrack and measurewhat people are sayingabout you, yourcompany, a newproduct, or any topicacross the webs socialmedia landscape inreal-time.www.socialmention.com
Top tools worth knowing about /! Provides trafﬁcanalytics forwebsites! Allows you to seenumber of pageviews, unique users,search words thatled people to yoursite and bouncerates.www.google.co.uk/analytics/
Top tools worth knowing about /! Measures trafﬁc for YouTubevideos! Gives you insights on yourviewer demographic, their levelof engagement, what devicesthey watch content on.www.youtube.com/yt/advertise/youtube-analytics
Top tools worth knowing about /! Provides details on the level ofengagement on your Facebookpage, also provides insight intoyour user - age, gender,location, etc.On your Facebook page