How to Set Up Your Bit.ly Account
It is very quick and simple to set up a Bit.ly account. It is a great tool to use in
combination with your other social networks. You do not necessarily need to sign in to
your account to use Bit.ly. However, by signing in to your account you will be able to
save all the URLs that you have shortened and see how many people have been clicking
on and engaging in your links.
Creating Your Account
1. Go to the address bar and type in “http://bit.ly” or type in “bitly” in your google
search engine and click on the first result that shows up.
2. Click on “Sign Up” in the top right.
3. Fill out the appropriate sections with your username, email and password and
click “Sign Up.” You will then be taken to your homepage.
4. Now in a different browser or tab, go to a link that you would like to share.
5. Copy the URL by following these easy steps:
• Go to the website
• Highlight the entire link in the address bar and
• Hold down the “Ctrl” button and press the “C” button on your keyboard.
This is a shortcut to copying your URL.
• Right click on the highlighted section with your mouse and click on
“Copy” from the drop down menu that appears. This will also copy the
6. Go back to your Bit.ly account and click in the yellow box that says “Shorten
your links and share from here”.
7. Now paste the link that you just copied into this box by following these easy
• Click in the box
• Hold down the “Ctrl” button and press the “V” button on your keyboard.
This is a shortcut to pasting your URL.
• Right click in the box and click on “Paste” from the dropdown menu. This
will also paste your link.
8. Your URL will now be automatically shortened to a small and easy to manage
link. This will make it easier to share that link on your different social websites,
especially with Facebook and Twitter. The new link will be shown in the same
box in which you just pasted the original URL.
9. Copy the new and condensed link. You can do this by resting your curser on the
green box (found below the yellow box) and click on the blue arrow that appears
on the right. Or you can use the previously outlined steps to copy the new link.
10. Go to your social media website of choice, for example Twitter, and paste the link
in your Tweet.
11. You can then go back into your Bit.ly account and you will see that your link has
been saved and there will be a counter tracking the number of times that it has
been clicked on.