How to Add Friends to Facebook
Now that we have created our profile and added all our additional information, the next
step is to add friends and send out requests for them to add you on facebook
There are a couple of different ways to find people on facebook. These will be discussed
Finding Friends Using your Email Contact Lists
Using Generic Email Accounts (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc)- If you have generic email
accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail, Facebook makes it really easy for you to
upload your contact list.
1. Start by clicking on “Find Friends” which can be found at the top right of your
2. Go to the section “Find People Via Email” and enter your email address where it
says “Your Email.” This will give Facebook access to your email account to see if
any of the people on your email contact list have a Facebook account.
3. Once it has parsed your contact list you will see a list of the people from your
contact list who have signed up with Facebook.
4. If you would like to add all of them, click on the box at the top left where it says
“Select All Friends” and then click on “Add Friends”.
Using an Outlook Account and Other Accounts to Find Friends - If you do not use the
generic systems but use other ones like Outlook, you can upload an excel sheet of your
email contacts into Facebook in order to add those contacts as your friends. Make sure to
create an excel sheet with your contacts emails and save it one your computer where it
can be easily accessed. How to make your excel sheet will be discussed below.
5. Again go to “Find Friends” which can be found at the top right of your home
6. If you use Outlook, they give you some nice easy to follow steps to create your
How to Export Your Contacts to Excel
7. In order to export your contacts from Outlook into an excel sheet, first open your
Outlook Account. Go to File Import and Export Outlook.
8. Choose “Export to a File” from the menu that appears and click “Next.”
9. Select “Comma Separated Values (Windows)” and click “Next.”
10. Now it is asking you to select your contact. If you have many different contacts
select a contact folder that you would like to use. If you would like to use all your
contacts then select the main folder called “Contacts.”
11. Once you have made your decision about which contacts you would like to export
to your excel file, click “Next.”
12. Now the system is asking you where you would like to export the file, i.e. where
would you like the excel file with all your contacts to be saved in your computer.
13. Click “Browse” and choose a location and title for your excel file something like
‘Outlook contacts for social media’. Click “Next” and then click “Finish” and the
file will be exported.
14. Once you have made your excel sheet go back to the Facebook page that you
were on in the above step #2 and click on “Upload Contact File” beside “Find
People Via Email”.
15. Scroll down and click on the “Browse” button. Find your excel file, click on it
and upload it into the Facebook system.
16. Find your excel file and click “Open.” Facebook will parse your excel list and
find the contacts that have a Facebook profile and bring them up in a list. You can
then choose which people you would like to send out invitations to by clicking on
the small boxes to the left of their names.
17. If you would like to select all of them, click on the first little box that says “Select
18. Click “Add as Friends” to send out the invitations.
Finding Friends Using the Search Engine
Another way to search for people is through the search engine at the top of the page.
You will notice as you are searching for people how much easier it is to find them if
they have a headshot. This should emphasise the importance of including a headshot
photo of yourself so that if there are multiple people on Facebook with your same
name, they will be able to be distinguished by their photo.
19. Type in the name of the person you are looking for in the search engine and hit
“Enter” or click on the little icon of a magnifying class next to the search box.
This will bring up a list of results.
20. Look through the list of results and click on the person you are looking for. This
will take you to a limited version of their Facebook Profile.
21. Click on the “Add as Friend” button that can be found at the top of the page next
to their name. Click on “Send Request.”
22. Now, you may be asked to type out a couple of words that you see in a photo
capture. This is to ensure that you are not a spammer. Type out the words (you do
not need to separate them with a space) and click “Send Request.” This will send
them an invitation to join your network. This security check does not always show
up they seem to do it just once in a while.
23. Next, the system will suggest some people that you may want to add. For now we
will click “Close.” Unless you see someone that you want to add.
Finding Friends Using Your Existing Friends
24. To find people through your existing friends on Facebook, first go to one of their
profile pages. You can do this by clicking on the “Friends” icon that can be found
in the menu on the left hand side of the screen on your homepage. Or you can go
to your Profile, go to the “Friends” box to the left and click on a friend or click on
“See All” to view a list of all your friends.
25. Select a friend and on the left hand side of their profile page go to the box labelled
“Friends” and click on “See All” to view all of their friends.
26. Click on the person you would like to add and follow the same steps as before.
Note: It is highly recommended to first upload your contact lists from your emails and then
use the other methods.