Bit.ly Introduction Tutorial Transcription
Bit.ly is not a social media site in itself. It is a tool that you can use to help facilitate your
activities on your different social networks. It helps you to shorten, share and track your
Say you are on a social network and you want to share the URL of an article. Typically
you have to go to that article or blog posting and copy the entire URL. Often these can be
very, very long and take up a lot of space. Bit.ly allows you to take that long URL and
condense it. You will find it used often on Twitter.
1. Copy the URL that you want to share.
2. Go to the Bit.ly home page by typing in “www.bit.ly” in the address bar.
3. Click on the yellow box that says “Shorten your links and share from here.”
4. Paste your URL in the box, and it will automatically be condensed down into
a small and manageable link.
5. Copy this new condensed link.
6. Go to your Twitter or other social media network and post it.
The other great thing about Bit.ly is that it allows you to track how many people are
clicking on your link. This shows you how many people are engaged in that material.
Bit.ly is not only for social media sites, you can use it to post links in your emails or
anywhere that you want to share a really long URL.