Parent-teacher associations- Every
elementary and secondary school shall organize
a parent-teacher association for the purpose of
providing a forum for the discussion of
problems and their solutions, relating to the
total school program, and for insuring the full
cooperation of parents in the efficient
implementation of such program. All parents
who have children enrolled in a school are
encouraged to be active members of its
PTA, and to comply with whatever obligations
Frequently asked questions on the PTA.
1. What is the policy of the DepEd on PTCA’s?
- The department of education strongly
encourages and supports the organization of
PTA’s to ensure the welfare of the
2. Is the establishment of the PTA mandatory in
- Principle volunteerism
- Private Voluntary Organizations
- Community Support
3. Is the requirement to incorporate by the PTA
with the securities and exchange commission
-NO. DepEd order no 54, s. 2009 no longer makes
such registration with the SEC mandatory.
4. Are all teachers and parents required to be
members of the PTA?
-Membership in PTA is strictly voluntary.
5. Who may be members of the school PTA?
- Parents or guardians of students/pupils
- Teachers in the given school.
6. How is the PTA organized?
- 15 days after the start of the school year.
- Election of Board of Directors
7. Who exercises the powers of the PTA?
- Board of directors
- Key officers in accordance with the constitutions
and by laws
8. What is the composition of the board of
directors? What are the key positions in the
-15 members of the board.
(President, Vice, Secretary, Treasurer
9. Who shall comprise the general assembly?
1. Parents of enrolled students;
2. Board of directors and officers of PTA
3. School head
4. Homeroom advisers
5. Subject teachers
6. Non-Teaching personnel
10. When may the general assembly convene?
1. Immediately after the PTA has been organized.
2. As may be necessary but not less than twice
during the school year.
11. What is the tenure of office of a PTA officer?
- One year but not exceeding two consecutive
12. What are the limitations on membership of
teachers in the board?
- Not more than 1/3 of the membership in the
- Only as member of the Board or Secretary
13. May the school head serve as member of the
-NO. The school head, however, shall serve as
adviser to the board.
13. How shall vacancies in the board be filled and
what shall be the term of the newly elected
- Majority vote of the board of directors in a
special meeting called for that purpose;
- Vacancy due to resignation, expulsion or death;
- Elected from among the presidents of the
- Shall serve for the unexpired term of the
Director he shall replace
14. What committees may be created to handle
specific activities of the PTA?
- Ways and Means
- External and Community affairs
15. Who shall head the foregoing committees? Is
this rule absolute?
- Board of directors
- Homeroom President
- Homeroom advisers
16. Who is empowered to recognize the PTA?
- The school principal shall recognize only one
- Such recognition shall be valid for a period of
17. What kind of collections is the PTA authorized
to collect and from whom? When may it collect
- Voluntary contributions from parent/guardianmembers
- It may collect only when it is recognized and
given a certificate of recognition by the school
18. What are the rules on PTA collections?
- Reasonable amt.
- Amt. Determined by the school boards
- Collected only once a year
- Financial statements shall be submitted to the
19. May the PTA collect School Publication fees,
SSG Development Funds, and other club
membership fees and contributions?
- YES, provided that:
1. It shall be upon its request and approval of the
2. The amt. Collected within the day shall be
immediately surrendered to the school or the
concerned student organization within the
3. The amt. Collected shall be deposited in a bank
account under the name of the concerned
school organization immediately upon receipt
20. What are the prohibited acts of the PTA?
- Selling insurance
- Operating a canteen/school supplies
- Engaging political activity
21. Is the PTA entitled to an office in the school?
-YES. If there is an available space within the
school campus as DETERMINED BY THE
SCHOOL PRINCIPAL. Provided further that all
electricity, water and other utility expenses shall
be borne by and accrue to the account of the
22. What are the effects of violations by the PTA?
- Cancellation of accreditation
- Filing of appropriate charges
23. Who may cancel the recognition of a PTA?
- The division PTA affairs committee, upon
recommendation of the school head and for
violation on the guidelines
- The school head, thereafter. May call for a
special election to replace the members pf the
board of the cancelled PTA.