How to get into teaching


Published on

6th October 2010

Skills workshop

Published in: Career
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • Institutions will have different criteria for entry You will need to contact the relevant institution for further information on their entry criteria.
  • How to get into teaching

    1. 1. Getting on to a Teacher Training course<br />Judith McIntyre<br />
    2. 2. Ways of getting into teaching<br />It is essential that you plan the best way to achieve your qualified teacher status (QTS) that will lead you to teach in schools in England and Wales that involves completing a programme of initial teacher training (ITT)<br />
    3. 3. Basic subject requirements<br />GCSE or standard equivalent in English Grade C<br />GCSE or standard equivalent in Maths Grade C<br />GCSE or standard equivalent in Science Grade C<br /> (if you want to teach primary or key stages 2/3)<br />A UK first degree (or equivalent qualification) if you want to take a postgraduate teacher training course (2:1 or above for Primary) <br />
    4. 4. A non EEA Qualification?<br />If you have qualifications from outside the EEA, the National Academic Record Information Centre (NARIC) will be able to advise you on whether your qualifications are equivalent to the minimum requirements and they may also provide certification where appropriate:<br />
    5. 5. How do you want to do your ITT?<br />Through a school- based programme (GTP/SCITTS)<br />Employment -based initial teacher training (EBITT)<br />Through a higher education institution<br />  <br />Teach First <br />
    6. 6. Through a school<br />School-centred initial teacher training (SCITT) is a programme for graduates, run by and based in schools.<br />All SCITT courses lead to qualified teacher status and many, but not all, award the postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE).<br />
    7. 7. Employed at school<br />- Graduate teacher programme (GTP)<br />The graduate teacher programme (GTP) allows schools to employ graduates and work out an individual training programme for them, leading to qualified teacher status. You are paid while you train. <br />Look in local, national and education-specific newspapers for untrained teacher posts. Competition for these places is stiff. <br />The TDA often has a list of schools that are involve in the GTP programme. However with current changes to the TDA, this may not be current. <br /><br />- Overseas Trained Teacher Programme (OTTP) – a programme that allows overseas trained teachers to achieve qualified teacher status.<br />
    8. 8. Through a higher education institution<br />ITT Training: You need to enrol on a postgraduate ITT course at a university or higher education institution. <br />The ITT course takes about a year and includes 18 weeks in a school for trainees wanting to teach at primary level, or 24 weeks for those wanting to teach at secondary level.<br />At the end of the course, assuming you meet the standards, you will be awarded qualified teacher status and become a newly qualified teacher (NQT) ready to undertake your induction year<br />
    9. 9. Work Experience<br />STUDENT ASSOCIATES SCHEME (SAS): Allows current students to spend 15 days in a school working alongside experienced teachers and assisting in classroom teaching. It attracts a tax-free bursary of £40 per day. <br />STUDENT TUTORING PROGRAMMES: Some institutions offer student tutoring programmes through which you go into schools to help with classes. These programmes are often available through university careers services or students' unions<br />UNDERGRADUATE AMBASSADORS SCHEME (UAS): If you are a mathematics, science, technology, engineering or modern languages undergraduate, your department may offer a classroom-based module. This would involve spending around 40 hours working in schools. <br />TASTER COURSES AND OPEN DAYS: These are organised by universities and colleges offering PGCE courses to provide an insight into teaching and teacher training. Taster courses last three days and tend to be targeted at shortage subjects or candidates from under-represented groups. <br />PAID WORK: You may be able to obtain paid work in schools as a cover supervisor, teaching assistant, laboratory technician or learning mentor, for example. These posts are usually advertised on local authority (LA) websites or recruitment agencies. TeacherNet has more information on teaching assistants; <br />VOLUNTARY WORK: Most local authorities (LAs) run schemes for voluntary mentors to work with pupils on a one-to-one basis. Contact your LA for more information. Many universities work closely with local schools to encourage pupils to consider higher education (HE). University students can mentor pupils and help run summer schools and other events that link schools and universities. Ask your university careers service or widening participation/access or admissions department if there are activities in which you could get involved. <br />
    10. 10. Applying for the PGCE<br />Apply through the Graduate Teacher Training Registry (GTTR)<br />The GTTR) processes most applications for places on PGCE courses, some distance learning courses, some further education (FE) courses, and the majority of school-centred initial teacher training (SCITT) schemes in England and Wales. For initial teacher training (ITT) providers who do not use the GTTR system, you need to apply directly to the institution. All Scottish higher education institutions (HEIs), except the University of Paisley, use the GTTR system. <br />All applications are made online. You can apply online from September 2010 for entry to courses starting in 2011. You are encouraged to talk directly to ITT providers about any specific queries you have regarding their courses. Telephone numbers are available on the GTTR website.<br />
    11. 11. Closing dates<br />Middle years and secondary applicants can apply up to 30 June in the same year of intending entry. Popular courses (such as PE and History) may fill up quickly, and courses can become full as early as January. Applications are processed by the GTTR in the order in which they are received and are dispatched daily to ITT providers from mid-September .<br />For primary PGCE courses, the GTTR must receive your completed application and reference by 1 December but you are strongly advised to apply early. Competition for places is stiff, and candidates are often interviewed and selected before the closing deadline. However, ITT providers are still able to receive applications after 1 December if they have places available.<br />
    12. 12. Late Applications<br />Late applications<br />If you are applying late, check that the courses you are applying for are not full before you put them on the application. The GTTR course search facility (on their website) provides the latest course vacancy information.<br />If the GTTR receives your application after 30 June they will not send it to any of your chosen providers. You will be entered directly into clearing. You can then apply directly to ITT providers with places.<br />Referees <br />Give yourself plenty of time to ask your referee for a reference and to confirm that the referee will provide your reference online. You will not be able to submit your application until the reference is completed.<br />
    13. 13. Funding<br />EBITT Programme<br />Trainees on employment based route (GTP,) will be employed by the school and so be<br />earning a salary<br />Eligibility<br />Your tuition fees and any other bursary or financial support depend on your status as a home, EU or overseas student<br />All grants and bursaries are subject to conditions and you are not guaranteed funding but you may be eligible for financial support<br />Tuition fee loan<br />Post graduate ITT course – you will have to pay tuition fees. Fees vary on the course and the HEI or the SCITT provider<br />You should contact the HEI or SCITT provider of the course or programme you are interested in<br />Training Bursary<br />Trainees may be entitled to tax free bursaries from the Training and Development Agency<br /> (TDA). The size of the bursary depends on when you start training and what subject you train to each in<br />
    14. 14. Funding continued<br />Golden hellos<br />Trainees in PGCE secondary mathematics, science and applied science are currently eligible to receive a golden hello of £5,000. Other secondary priority subjects including applied ICT, design and technology, modern languages, RE and music receive £2,500. Golden hellos are taxable and are paid at the end of your induction year, when you start your second year of teaching.<br />Support for tuition fees<br />There is a Tuition Fee Loan, paid direct to your university, to cover fees. Then there are also student loans and grants designed to help towards living costs. See Direct Gov - Student Financefor more information about loans, grants and eligibility. <br />The fee loan and loan for living costs will not have to be repaid until you are working and earning over £15,000 a year. <br />All students starting PGCE and SCITT courses will be eligible to apply for a means-tested grant to contribute towards living costs and fees. <br />Other support is available for certain groups of students, e.g. students with disabilities and students with dependent children. If you are in financial hardship, you can also apply to your university for help from the access to learning fund. <br />Part-time PGCE trainee teachers receive the same package of financial support as is available to all part-time higher education students for more information <br />
    15. 15. Other Teaching Opportunities<br />Further Education<br />PGCE FE<br />Other quals that must be Lifelong Learning UK (LLUK) endorsed<br />Higher Education<br />English as a Second Language<br />English as a Foreign Language<br />Commercial training companies<br />Training & development (CIPD)<br />
    16. 16. Useful websites<br />LLUK Helpline: 0300 303 1877<br /><br />Training and development agency for schools – includes an application assistant<br />Graduate Teacher Training Registry (GTTR)<br /><br />Teaching Information Line 0845 6000 911<br /><br /> - interactive<br />Graduate & Registered Teacher Programmes<br /><br />Overseas Trained Teacher Scheme<br /><br />Teach First -<br />Flyers on Open Schools Programme, Taster Courses, Teaching Advocate Programme and Student Associates Scheme<br />Education - Alternatives to Teaching, AGCAS Information Booklet, 2007 <br />
    17. 17. Judith McIntyre<br />