1947 Dixie Pig Barbecue Restaurant
Originally known as Starlight Grill – Benjamin Griffin Sr. and Helen (Bishop)
along with Harry and Minnie Holt leased the restaurant for 3 years from
Timothy and Alice Ragen until the Griffins purchased it in 1951/1952.
1950 White Owl Motel and Restaurant
Owned by Earl Curtis Feeser
1940s Penn-Daw Hotel
Owners Edward L. Pennell and Samuel Cooper Dawson – Combined their
names to create Penn-Daw name.
Owned by Ellsworth “Elmer” Nightingale –
Upper portion of picture is Nightingale Trailer Park. Nightingale Hardware and Appliance
Store located off street in middle of picture. Route 1 is running left to right at the bottom of
the picture. To the far right was Club Nightingale. Not shown to the right would have been
The Log Cabin Tavern (owned by Nightingale) and Paul’s Ice House (owned by Paul Wease).
Totem Pole Motor Lodge
Located between Spring Drive and the Wagon Wheel Motel on Route 1.
Mount Pleasant Tourist Home
Located in Penn-Daw near Penn-Daw Motor Hotel
St Louis Catholic Church (original Groveton School)
Groveton Episcopal Church
Located on Route 1 (now Beacon at Groveton Complex) – originally
known as Groveton Chapel and is now located on South Kings Hwy called
St. Mark’s Episcopal Church.
1904 - Groveton Chapel
Located on Route 1 (now Beacon at Groveton Complex) – burned down –
was rebuilt as Groveton Episcopal Church and is now located on South
Kings Hwy called St. Mark’s Episcopal Church.
1957-1975 Groveton High School (on Popkins Lane)
Now known as Bryant Alternative High School
1933-1972 3rd Groveton Elementary School
Located on West Oak Street, now known as Memorial Street, now the
Beacon at Groveton Complex.
2nd Groveton Grade School
Located on corner of Route 1 and Groveton Street – now Beacon at
1876-1926 Groveton Schoolhouse
and Groveton Mission
Located on Popkins Lane and now part of St Louis Catholic Church
heading north on Snake Hill (Route 1)
Ayres Farm (off Popkins Lane
and off of Cherry Arms Apts)