The term "Hajj or Haj ( حَجّ ) " has been derived from Arabic word. The word "Hajj" means heading for an honorable person or place. Meaning of Hajj:
Hajj means worshipping Allah by performing the Hajj rituals, which are defined as specific acts performed at a specific time and place in a specific way. The Hajj is the Pilgrimage to Mecca (Makkah). It is the fifth of the “Five Pillars of Islam” which takes place during the Islamic month of Dhu-al-Hjjah. Muslim who can able and afford do so is obliged to make the pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in his/her lifetime. Definition of Hajj:
<ul><li>They (the people) ask you (the Prophet) concerning the new moons. Say: “They are only signs to mark fixed periods of time in (the affairs of) men, and for Pilgrimage ( Hajj ).” It is no virtue if you enter your Houses from the back: It is virtue if you fear Allah enter Houses through the proper doors: And fear Allah that you may prosper. [ 2:189 ] </li></ul>From the Quran:
<ul><li>Look! (The two mountains) Safa and Marwa are among the symbols of Allah. So if those who visit the House in the ( Hajj ) season or at other times ( Umrah ), should go around them, it is no sin in them. And if anyone follows his own wish to do good-be sure that Allah is He Who recognizes ( Shakir ) all, All Knowing ( Aleem ). [ 2:158 ] </li></ul>
<ul><li>The Prophet (pbuh) said: “He who performs Hajj and does not speak obscenely or commit evil then he returns just as the day his mother gave birth to him”. ( Narrated by Bukhaari, Ahmed, Nasai and Ibn Majah from Abu Hurairah ) </li></ul>From the Hadith:
<ul><li>The Prophet (pbuh) said: “ Umrah is an expiation for the time between it and the previous ‘ Umrah ’ and an accepted Hajj has no less a reward than Paradise”. ( Narrated by al-Bukhari 1683, Muslim 1349 ) </li></ul>
<ul><li>The Hajj is the Islamic Calendar month of Zul Hijjah between 8 th day to 13 th day ( 8 th , 9 th , 10 th , 11 th , 12 th and 13 th days ). The Umrah is at any time of the year. </li></ul>Time of Hajj:
Place of Hajj: The Holy Mosque of Kaaba , it is the only one place of big city in Makkah and the country of Saudi Arab .
Two types of Hajj: <ul><li>For Hajj </li></ul><ul><li>For Umrah </li></ul>
• The Fundamental Acts of Hajj • The Compulsory Acts of Hajj For Hajj :
The Fundamental Acts of Hajj: • Entering the state of Ihram. • Standing in Arafat. • Tawaaf. • The Sa'yi (Hasten between the hills of Safa and Marwah). Note: Missing any of these pillars on the above, s/he Hajj will not be completed until s/he performs it again.
The Compulsory Acts of Hajj: • Wearing Ihrah from the Miqat • Spending a day at Arafat. • Spending the night in Muzdalefah. • Staying in Mena. • Casting at the Jamarat. • Shaving off head or shortening the hair. • The Farewell Tawaaf. Note: For missing one of these compulsory acts, s/he must offer a sacrifice of an animal.
For Umrah: <ul><li>The Fundamental Acts of Umrah </li></ul><ul><li>The Compulsory Acts of Umrah </li></ul>
The Fundamental Acts of Umrah: • Entering the state of Ihram. • The Tawaaf. • The Sa'yi. Note: Missing any of these pillars on the above, s/he Umrah will not be completed until s/he performs it again.
The Compulsory Acts of Umrah: • Wearing Ihram from Miqat. • Shaving or Trimmning.
Categories of Hajj: <ul><li>Hajj Ifrad: The pilgrim pronounces intention to perform only Hajj. </li></ul><ul><li>Hajj Qiran: The pilgrim pronounces intention of performing both Hajj and Umrah simultaneously with the same Ihram and actions like Tawaaf and others. Or the pilgrim pronounces Umrah first then adds intention of Hajj on it before starting Tawaaf. </li></ul>
<ul><li>Hajj Tamattu: The pilgrim pronounces intention to perform only Umrah during the Hajj months (Sahwwal, Dhul-Qidah and the first eight days of Dhul-Hejjah) or any time of the year. </li></ul>
• The Ihram is to be at the miqat (the place where from Ihram starts), for the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Do not pass the miqat unless you are in a state of Ihram” (Al- Bukhari). • Mawaqit (plural of miqat) are five places fixed by Islam for entering Ihram. The place where from Ihram starts:
• The first is Dhul-Hulaifah , a place southwest of Madinah and 18 km from its mosque. It is the miqat for the people coming from Al-Madinah and beyond. • The second is Dhat-` Ira , a place 94 km to the northeast of Makkah. It is the miqat for the people coming from Iraq and beyond. • The third is Al-Juhfah , a place 187 km to the northwest of Makkah. This was the miqat for the people coming from Syria, Egypt, and the pilgrims who pass through it.
• The fourth is Qarn Al-Manazil , a mountain 94 km to the east of Makkah. It is the miqat for the people of Najd and the pilgrims who pass by it. • The fifth is Yalamlam , a mountain 54 km to the south of Makkah. It is the miqat for those coming from Yemen and the pilgrims who pass by it.
Method of Umrah/Hajj for ranking orders: • Start Ihram from Al Miqat • Then start Talbiyah • Go to the Holy Mosque for Tawaaf • Proceed to as Safa • Shaving or Trimming
Note: In this way, you have performed full Umrah; if you want it separate or you want it for Hajj, in case you are Mutamatte. But if you are Mufrid for Hajj or Qarin, you intend Tawaf-ul-qudum-it is Sunna-and Sa'yi for Hajj-is a fundamental rite; keep in state of Ihram and don't remove it. Don‘t shave or trim till the 8th of Dhul Hijjah to complete the rest of Hajj actions.
• Actions to be done on the 8 th day • Actions to be done on the 9 th day • The Standing in Araft • Leaving Arafat for Muzdalefah • Actions to be done on the 10 th day • Stoning of Jamrat-ul-Aqabah • Slaughtering of Sacrifice • Shaving the head or Trimming • Tawaaf-ul-Efaadhah • Perform Sa’yi of Hajj • Sleeping the days of Tashreeq in Mena
<ul><li>• Actions to be done on the 11 th , 12 th and 13 th days: </li></ul>• Farewell Tawaaf
Forbidden things on a person in the state of Ihram: • Forbidden things for men and women • Forbidden things for men • Forbidden things for women
Forbidden things for men and women: • Removing hair from any parts of one's body. • Trimming of nails. • Using perfumes (avoid scented soap). • Physical sexual contact with the spouse with or without intercourse. • Wearing gloves. • Hunting (land) animals. • Contracting marriage or proposing for potential spouse, neither for not for others.
Forbidden things for men: • Wearing of sewed clothes. • Covering the man's head with anything that touches the head (umbrellas are ok.)
Forbidden things for Women: • Wearing veils with holes for the eyes (Niqab) or Burqa. In such case, it is obligatory for her to cover her face during Ihram and otherwise.
Lesson from Hajj: • Pilgrims standing shoulder to shoulder and of all races, dressed in simple white, stripped of all kinds of worldly barriers, be they of wealth, profession, geography, class and education or other. As we know the color of people black & white, the wealthily of people poor & rich, the class of people educated & none educated and the race of people Arab & none Arab; these are not matter in Islam. The Islam tells us that we are human being and we like all are equal. Allah judges us only by tawqa.
We have to need more unity from local to national and from national to international. Especially, we should learn from Hajj a global unity and peace for every year. This enduring image of Hajj has become a seal of Ummah unity in its diversity. Don’t forget it and keep it in our mind forever. Lesson from Hajj (cont.):
Check lists for Hajj: • Before you leave for Hajj • Healthful tips for Hujjaj • Safety Tips & Good Advice • Important Medicine • OTC Medicine
Before you leave for Hajj: • Three pairs of Ihram (3 yard length and 60 inch width in Hand Luggage). • Beach Sandals x 2 pairs (in Hand luggage). • Four pairs of Shalwar Kameez. • Traveling Mirror x 1. • Sewing Needle & Thread. • Miswaak x 1. • Small pair of Scissors. (Keep in check in luggage).
• Gillette razors X 6. • Plastic Squeeze bottle x 1 (For istinja). • Disposable glasses and plates. • Musalla (Janamaz) x 1. • Quran Majeed x 1. • Towel x 1. • Roll of paper towel & Bathroom tissues one each .
• Book on Ehkame Hajj & Duas x 1. • Ball pens & scrap papers. • Small knife x 1 (in check in luggage). • Folding Umbrella x 1. • Compass x 1 (to locate Kaba during traveling). • Bath soap (non fragrant) x 1. • Wrist Watch (dual time if possible) x 1 • Travel alarm clock x 1. • Baggage locks (Combination) x 2. • Flash light x 1. • Pack of string x 1.
• Q-Tips small x 1. • Tooth Brush Soft x 1. • Toothpaste Gel x 1. • Pair of comfortable shoes x 1. • Baby oil or moisturizing lotion. • Pouch for your valuables & Documents. • Dramamine 50 mg 1x24 (For motion sickness). • Tasbeeh and Toopi x 2 each.
Healthful tips for Hujjaj: • Do not drink tap water. • Drink ZamZam or bottled water only. • Avoid raw vegetables, salads & unpeel fruits. • In mina, Arafat & Muzdalifa people experience lots of sweating add table salt to water or other drinks like “Lassie” (Laban) & Drink plenty.
• Wrist blood pressure kit (If you are Hypertensive) x 1. • Glucometer, Ice packs (for Insulin), Glucose tablets, Needle disposal (if you are diabetic).
Safety Tips & Good Advice: • Wear Your ID at all times (No exemption). • Being in touch with your group leader all times. • While walking in Sun always carry an umbrella & water bottle. • Before Hajj do not exhaust yourself, rest plenty & eat healthy. • While in Arafat if you need to leave your tent does not go alone. • Being careful at Jamarat (stone throwing) most casualties happen here.
Go at a time less crowded, like just before sunset. Protect your Women, elderly, sick & weak ones. Do not carry any thin around your neck since you could be strangled. If you loose your sandals in crowd do not bend down to pick it up may be stampeded. • Choose between 11:00 Pm-2:00 AM for tawaf- e-Ziarat on 11 th of Zilhajj based on previous experience this is the low crowded period. • Do Tawaf-e- Wida with tawaf-e-Ziarat If you have to leave early i.e. (14 shout with 2 intentions).
• Only read authentic books on Hajj & Umra, Know the author. • Being mentally prepared you have to do a lot of walking on Marble floor. • Do not use wiping towels in the plane while in Ihram (Because it has fragrance). • Travelers checks & credit cards are not welcomed at all the places you must have some cash on you. If you have more than $1000 Dollars put it into safe deposit withyour Hotel as amanah do not forget to take it out before you leave the country.
Important Medicine: • Have extra pair of you prescription eyeglasses. • Tie your glasses with string around your neck. • Have a pair of Sunglasses. • Have your all Prescription medicine properly labeled by your Pharmacist & carry in your hand luggage.
• Tylenol 500 mg 1 x 100. • Advil 200 mg 1 x 100. • Assorted Band-aids. • Claritin 10 mg 1 x 24. • Chloraseptic throat spray. • Pepto Bismal 1 x Med bottle. OTC Medicine:
• Imodium A-D 1 x 24 for Diarrhea. • Triple antibiotic 1 x 30 gm. • Tylenol Cold Tabs 1 x 24. • Sudafed 60 mg 1 x 24. • Forehead thermometer x1. • Prilosec 20 mg 1 x 30 (for heart Burn). • Dramamine 50 mg 1x 24 (for motion sickness)