2. email@example.com www.ubiquitypress.com / @ubiquitypress
To return control of publishing to university and society presses,
providing them with the infrastructure and support to advance
publishing in the interest of researchers.
About Ubiquity Press
Spun out of University College London in 2012
Extensive publishing background as well
(BioMed Central, PLoS, Elsevier, IOP)
Based in London
Comprehensive approach: journals,
books, data, software, ….
3. firstname.lastname@example.org www.ubiquitypress.com / @ubiquitypress
The Social Contract
• Further development
• Hardware, wetware…
5. email@example.com www.ubiquitypress.com / @ubiquitypress
The basics of the model
Data papers are short
1) Low barrier data publication
Peer review needs to be quick and objective
2) Online authoring
Low APC: $40
Lower cost (straight to XML)
Encourages shorter form
3) Open access only (CC-BY)
4) The publisher is not the repository
10. firstname.lastname@example.org www.ubiquitypress.com / @ubiquitypress
1. The paper contents
a. The methods section of the paper must provide
sufficient detail that a reader can understand how
the resource was created.
b. The resource must be correctly described.
c. The reuse section must provide concrete and useful
suggestions for reuse of the reuse.
2. The deposited resource
a. The repository must be suitable for resource
and have a sustainability model.
b. Open license permits unrestricted access (e.g. CC0),
or access guaranteed if criteria met (must qualify)
c. A version in an open, non-proprietary format.
d. Labeled in such a way that a 3rd party can make
sense of it.
e. Must be actionable.