Mission of Indianapolis
• The ship carried an atomic bomb, that was
due to be dropped on Japan.
• Turn out that mission was successfully
• After the delivery of the bomb the ship next
mission was to set up for the invasion of Japan
• To get in position the ship passed infested
water of Japanesed.
Mission of the Indianapolis
• Mission was very deathly unsuccessful
• Jap’s Submarine fired at ship
• Two out of five of Japan’s torpedo’s hit the
• The ship breaks into two halves
• Started to sink right after hit
The Crew and Such
• Out of the 1,196 men onboard only an
estimated 900 survived the torpedo hit.
• But after the survivors took the blow, they had
to deal with many other unexpected obstacles
• No life boats onboard
• Had flotation devises but no help do to the
• Forcing them to drown
• Most of all the water was infested with not
only Japs, but sharks to that lead to death
from this attack.
• Captain Charles Mcvey was resuced
• Put on a court Marshall
• Due to the lost of his ship
• Was accused of not following proper
• Japanese commander of the sub was a p.o.w.
• He was put to court against Mcvey
• Used it to determine if he follow the proper
• The captain was found guilty
• Guilty of not following orders and losing an
American ship / soldiers
• quot;USS Indianapolis.quot;
ianapolis/history.html. 10 May 2009
• quot;The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis, 1945.quot; EyeWitness to History -
history through the eyes of those who lived it. 10 May 2009
• quot;USN Ships--USS INDIANAPOLIS (CA-35).quot; Naval History and
Heritage Command. 10 May 2009
• Ezine articles Uss indianapolis vs shark attacks.