Science education for global citizenship

975 views

Published on

Published in: Education, Technology
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
975
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
3
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
23
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Science education for global citizenship

  1. 1. David Geelan The University of Queensland SCIENCE EDUCATION FOR GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP
  2. 2. CHALLENGES FACING THE WORLD <ul><li>climate change and extreme weather </li></ul><ul><li>water </li></ul><ul><li>pollution </li></ul><ul><li>energy - end of fossil fuels </li></ul><ul><li>disease pandemics </li></ul><ul><li>war and violence </li></ul><ul><li>economic crises </li></ul>
  3. 3. COMMON FEATURES <ul><li>Many of these challenges need to be addressed globally as well as locally </li></ul><ul><li>Many of these challenges are related to science, and need scientific knowledge to find solutions </li></ul>
  4. 4. SCIENCE EDUCATION <ul><li>Science teaching currently does a good job of preparing the 10% of students who go into science and engineering careers </li></ul><ul><li>Unfortunately, it also tends to tell the other 90% of the population ‘you cannot understand science’ </li></ul>
  5. 5. SCIENCE EDUCATION <ul><li>In order to face the challenges of the future, science education must: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>help all students to understand science, enough to take a role as active citizens </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>place scientific issues in local and global contexts </li></ul></ul>
  6. 6. CITIZENSHIP <ul><li>What does it mean to be a citizen? </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Citizens have rights and responsibilities </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Citizens take an active, informed role in deciding on a nation’s direction through voting </li></ul></ul>
  7. 7. GLOBAL CITIZENSHIP <ul><li>Since many future challenges are global, each human being also has global rights and responsibilities </li></ul>
  8. 8. SCIENCE FOR ALL <ul><li>Preparing all students to be fully engaged, informed citizens means helping them to understand science </li></ul><ul><li>Science education for all students needs to be engaging, and to connect to their experience </li></ul>
  9. 9. SCIENCE EDUCATION FOR PROTECTION <ul><li>Understanding science helps all citizens avoid being deceived by people making dishonest claims in the name of science </li></ul><ul><li>Science education helps students judge the quality of scientific claims and information </li></ul>
  10. 10. SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, SOCIETY AND ENVIRONMENT (STSE) <ul><li>Science education for global citizenship needs to include consideration of: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>the nature of science </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>science and technology </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>science and society </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>environmental issues and sustainability </li></ul></ul>
  11. 11. MEANINGFUL LEARNING <ul><li>Students will learn things that mean something to them now much better than things they are promised will mean something later </li></ul><ul><li>Linking science learning to students current experiences of life makes it meaningful </li></ul>
  12. 12. CONCLUSION <ul><li>Many of the challenges facing Australia, Thailand and the world are: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>global in scope and </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>scientific in nature </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Science education for all students has an important role in preparing society to address these challenges </li></ul>

×