OLYMPIQUE de MARSEILLE 2014/15 :Scout Report (5X5 METHOD by Branko Nikovski). ENGLISH Version
Scout Report: OLYMPIQUE de MARSEILLE 2014/15
by Branko Nikovski
(the creator of the Method 5x5)
1. INDIVIDUAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE PLAYERS GOALKEEPER (GK) : MANDANDA CENTRAL BACK (CB) : N’KOULOU LATERAL BACK /CENTRAL BACK (LB)/(CB) : MOREL
-Agile and fast reflex. Lider. Communicate with the defence. Concentration and attention on long shoots and 1vs1 duels.
-Very strong physically and in air duels. Fast and agile. Good marking and good tactical positionality. Great concentration. Also good in constructive offensive phase (when Imbula and Romao are marked or indisponible).
-His natural position is left wing-back, but with Bielsa's arrival ,he became central back in 4-2-3-1 and the third central back in 3-3-3-1. Not so tall ,but good in air duels. Fast and agile. Great man marking and covering abilities. Good concentration and great vision for eventual long vertical/diagonal balls in Zona 2/3/4.
CENTRAL BACK/DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER (CB)/(DM) : ROMAO
DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER (DM) : IMBULA
RIGHT LATERAL MIDFIELDER / RIGHT BACK :
DJA DJE’ DJE’ (RM)/(RB)
-Defensive midfielder,moved by Bielsa in the three man defensive line for covering and offensive plan construction. He has all the characteristics of Central Back, but in 4-2-3-1 plays in front of the defence for covering them and destruct the opponent's game plan. --The left footed playmaker. The catalyst of all offensive actions and the equilibrium man in defensive phase ,but also in offensive phase. The brain of the team. Strong physically, in air duels, great technique, great game vision. Sometimes he exaggerates with the ball possession ,risking to lose it and a opponent offensive transition. - A right back ,very strong physically, fast and good in lateral and central insertions(depending of the system of play). Good technique,but with Bielsa has learned to play in central zone at midfield(3-3-3-1). Great cross . His temperament can put him in difficult situations especially if the opponents provokes him.
LEFT LATERAL MIDFIELDER/ LEFT BACK : MENDY (LM)/(LB) ATTACKING MIDFIELDER/TREQURSTISTA : PAYET (AM) LEFT WINGER : AYEW (LW)
-Left back, strong physically,fast and good in central and lateral insertions(depending of the system of play).Good in air duels. Tactical progression thanks to Bielsa,about his position. The best cross player of the team. The lateral actions go through his deadly crosses.
-Very fast attacking midfielder, who can play like a wing. Great technique, good cross abilities, dribbling in 1vs1 situations and movements between the opponent's lines. His defensive duty is to mark the opponent's low playmaker ,with elevate intensity for creating eventual offensive transitions..
- Left footed winger, who plays on the left side. Great technique. Good cross abilities, insertions from behind, but often forgets his defensive duties to cover the left flank.
RIGHT WINGER : THAUVIN (RW)
STRIKER : GIGNAC (ST)
- Left footed winger ,who plays on the right side. Very fast and great technique. Good dribbler in 1vs1 duels and creating a vertical/diagonal insertions behind the opponent's left back. Some times forgets his defensive duties to cover the right flank.He can plays also like attacking midfielder.
-Very strong striker. Area man. Goalscorer. Classic number 9, but good in defensive duties (putting pressure on the opponent ball carrier).
- Central back, fast, strong physically and in air duels. A substitution for on of the three defenders.
LEMINA : BARRADA : ALESSANDRINI : BATSHUAYI :
-Young central midfielder. Good technique, but tactical and positional anarchic. Substitution for Romao in 4-2-3-1 (defensive midfielder) or for Dja Djè Djè in 3-3-3-1 (right lateral midfielder).
-Midfielder with good technique. Good long shoots. He can play also like winger. Substitution for Payet or one of the wingers.
-Left footed winger. Very fast and in 1vs1 offensive duels. Substitution for one of the wingers.
-Young central forward. Very physically strong and in air duels. But tactically anarchic. If the team loses , he enters on the place of one of the wingers, Gignac moves on the flank,and he plays centrally.
2. GENERAL :
*They are using two systems of play depending of the opponents:
1. If the opponent plays with two strikers , they use 3-3-3-1.
2. If the opponent plays with one striker,they use 4-2-3-1.
THEIR FOOTBALL PHILOSOPHY IS BASED ON FOUR(4) FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES/ IDEAS :
1. Defensive Domination
2. Ball ,time and space possession
3. Attacking/Offensive football
4. High offensive Pressing in Zone 3/4
3. SPECIFIC SYSTEM OF PLAY : 3-3-3-1 -This system of play is based on four(4) fundamental principles : 1. Defensive Domination 2. Ball ,time and space possession 3. Attacking/Offensive football 4. High offensive Pressing in Zone 3/4
OFFENSIVE PHASE :
*The ball possession is often played with elevated velocity, but in some cases they know also rest with the ball possession finding defensive holes in the opponent's organisation.
Zone 1 :
-The action starts from Mandanda(Gk) ,who passes the ball to one of the central backs or finds Imbula in Zone 2 (if he isn't marked).
-If Imbula is marked,one of the central backs takes care of the offensive construction( Romao, who is defensive midfielder). If Romao doesn't play ,this duty passes on N'Koulou.
-Zone 2 :
1. Imbula is the conductor and constructor of the offensive actions. Often tries to find Payet(AM) between the lines(in Zone3), if doesn't succeed, moves the ball to one of the lateral midfielders, who attacks Zone 3 through vertical pass for the winger.
2.If Imbula is marked by the opponent ,one of the central backs takes Imbula's duties. The central back enters in Zone2 with the ball, tries to find Payet between the lines or the lateral midfielders. Sometimes tries to find the wingers with long diagonal or vertical pass.
3. If Imbula is marked , Payet drops in Zone2 for helping in construction phase(creating 3-4-2-1), moving the ball on the flanks or finding a centred winger between the lines (when Payet drops in Zone2,one of the wingers moves in central area taking his place).
Zone 3 :
-The ball is moved in Zone 3 through two types of construction :
1. Finding Payet(AM) or one centred winger between between the lines.
2. Finding the wingers (RW and LW) on the flanks, through the construction of the lateral midfielders.
1.1 In the case of finding Payet between the lines, the action go through three(3) progressively cases : 1.1.1) Payet attacks Zone4, finding space, shooting on the goal (good shooter). 1.1.2) Payet verticalize/ diagonalize with Gignac or one of the wingers in Zone4. 1.1.3) Payet moves the ball on the flanks, creating a offensive lateral triangle with the winger and the lateral midfielder ( sometimes ,if Gignac moves on the flank,they create a offensive lateral rhomboid. In this way,they attack Zone4 through the flank ,often crossing for Gignac, the opposite winger, the opposite lateral midfielder and Payet (if he attacks the penalty box).
2.1 If the action moves from Zone2 in Zone3 through the flanks, in Zone 3 is created a lateral offensive triangle (Winger+Lat.Midfielder+Payet or Winger+Lat.Midfielder +Gignac).
The action goes through two progressively cases :
2.1.1) If Payet participate in the lateral offensive triangle :
220.127.116.11 : They cross in Zone4 for Gignac, the opposite winger and the opposite lat.midfielder.
18.104.22.168 : through the numerical superiority and the ball possession, they create lateral insertions in Zone4 for eventual crosses(Mendy very good crosser).
2.1.2) If Payet doesn't participate in the lateral offensive triangle :
22.214.171.124 : through the numercial superiority and ball possession , they create lateral insertions in Zone4 for eventual crosses.
126.96.36.199: they try to find Payet in central zone on the end of Zone3 and the begining of the Zone4. Where Payet :
188.8.131.52.1 : Shoots on the goal.
184.108.40.206.2 : Find the opposite winger or the later.midfielder through verticalization/diagonalization.
1. They create lateral situations for eventual crosses, where :
1.1 Gignac attacks the first post, the opposite winger the second post, the opposite later.midfielder waits the second balls.
2.They create lateral situations for eventual centralization of the winger, Payet or Gignac for shooting on the goal.
3.They create central situations(Payet) for eventual verticalizations/diagonalizations for the wingers or Gignac.
4.They create central situations for eventual shoots on the goal.(Payet,Gignac,Thauvin,Ayew,Imbula).
SPECIFIC ASPECTS of THE OFFENSIVE PHASE :
1. One of the three defenders ,is a defensive midfielder, who takes care for the construction from behind ,and the beginning of the action, finding Imbula or the later.midfielders in Zone2, or Payet between the lines in Zone3. 2.They create a ''spider cobweb'' formed from dynamic/offensive triangle and rhomboids. Through positional passes(1-2-3 touches), they move the ball from one zone in another attacking the opponent defence with elevated velocity. 3.The wingers often swap positions with the lateral midfielders : sx) Ayew with Mendy dx) Thauvin with DjaDjèDjè 4.The wingers make central movements,and the lateral midfielders go wide, but often is asymmetric positional play : where one winger is a centred and the lateral midfielder is wide, but on the opposite side the winger is wide and the lateral midfielder is a centred. And vice versa. They do that,for creating a confusion in the opponent organisation
5. The lateral midfielders are often acentred ,creating a central offensive rhomboid with Imbula and Payet. Taking advantage from the central numerical superiority ,easily move the on the flanks or for Payet between the lines. 6. Gignac moves on the flanks, for creating a lateral numerical superiority and creating central holes in the opponent defence, for eventual insertions of the opposite winger and Payet. 7.If they lose, enters the young striker Batshuayi for one of the wingers, Gignac moves on the flank ,and Batshuayi plays centrally.
DEFENSIVE PHASE : 1. They play 3-3-3-1 when the opponent plays with two strikers (4-4-2diamond, 4-4-2classic, 3-5-2, 3-4-1-2). Two of the defenders are man marking the opponent's strikers and the third defender is covering. 2.They use tight 4-4-2(4-4-1-1) in defence. Very short and compact lines. 2,1 One of the lateral midfielders or one of the wingers drops in the defensive line (creating a line of four players). Often the wingers have this duties, because the lateral midfielders move centrally marking the opponent's midfielders.. 3. Very strong and dominant in air duels. 4. If the winger covers the flank, there is no danger of lateral insertions from behind (frequently the opponent's wing-backs). But ,if the winger doesn't have time to cover the flank (opponent offensive transition) or forgets to cover (tactical error) ,they become very vulnerable on the flanks and suffer alot (WEAK TACTICAL SIDE !!!). 5. Imbula is marking the opponent's Attacking playmaker (trequartista): 4-4-2diamond, 3-4-1-2). 6.If Imbula is out of position, they suffer central passes and opponent offensive transition (WEAK TACTICAL SIDE !!!). 7. Payet is marking the opponent's lower playmaker (3-5-2, 4-4- 2diamond). 8. The lateral midfielders (Mendy and DjaDjèDjè) defend very well in 1vs1 duels. If the opponent is playing with 4-4-2classic, they mark the opponent's lateral midfielders.
*The pressing is ultra offensive :
1.Gignac attack and puts pressure on the opponent ball carrier supported by pressing ''cobweb'' formed by dynamic triangles and rhomboids behind him. The ''cobweb'' is very short and compact. In this way ,they try to win the ball and create eventual offensive transition.
2. In some cases the ''cobweb'' can't resist because of the opponent tecnical characteristics, but in 75% of the cases ,she is positive ,creating offensive transition or forcing the opponent on long balls.
3. They don't use offside traps. The defenders are following and man marking the opponent's strikers,and one defender is covering.
OFFENSIVE TRANSITION :
-They are very aggressive, starting from the Gignac's pressure on the opponent ball carrier, forcing him on long pass (strong in air duels) or wrong pass.
-They attack with 4+1.The four(4) up front plus one of the lateral midfielders.
1. If they steal the ball in Zone 2, the transition goes through Imbula, who passes the ball to Payet between the lines, or diagonalizes with the wingers in Zone 3.
2. If they steal the ball in central zone in Zone 3, immediately try to find Gignac(verticalize) or diagonalize on the flanks.
3. If they steal the ball in lateral zone in Zone 3 , they attack with the winger and the lateral midfielder :
3.1 : creating lateral insertions ,depending who has the ball.
3.2 : finding a player in central zone (Payet).
3.3 : vertical pass for Gignac in the beginning of Zone 4.
3.4 : long diagonal pass for the opposite winger.
DEFENSIVE TRANSITION :
-During the negative transition, they apply immediate pressing on the opponent ball carrier, becoming immediately short and compact.
-The defenders always follow /mark the two opponent's strikers.
1. If they lose the ball in lateral zone, the negative transition is positive and effective, because they block the opponent's pass trajectories (short and compact) - Zone 3/4.
2.If they lose the ball in central zone, negative transition is centrally effective, but vulnerable on the flanks (if the wingers don't cover the flanks.Lateral insertions from behind.). - Zone 3/4.
3. If they lose the bal in Zone 2, immediately became vulnerable, suffering 3vs3,2vs2 situations.
( WEAKNESS !! - characterized by a technical error or tactical-positional error (especially Imbula) ).
4. SPECIFIC SYSTEM OF PLAY :
-This system of play is based on four(4) fundamental principles :
1. Defensive Domination
2. Ball , time and space possession
3. Attacking/Offensive football
4. High offensive Pressing in Zone 3/4
OFFENSIVE PHASE :
-Mandanda passes the ball :
1. To the central defenders.
2. Long diagonal pass for the wing-backs in Zone 2, which remain high and wide.
3. Imbula drops in Zone 1 (if he isn't marked, enters in Zone 2 with the ball).
1.1 If Imbula is marked, the central defenders try to find Romao in Zone 2.
1.2 Move the ball on the flanks ,for the the wing-backs.
1.3 Long diagonal pass in Zone 3 for a wide winger (or wide wing-back). The defender also can enter in Zone 2.
Zone 2: -The construction actions go through the playmaker Imbula. If he is marked, Romao takes the responsibility and his construction duties (Romao has lower technique capacity and lower constructive vision) or Payet drops in Zone 2. 1. Imbula isn't marked : 1.1 Central filtered passes for Payet or a acentred winger in Zone 3. 1.2 Lateral pass for wide wing-back. 1.3 Long diagonal pass for wide winger(wide wing-back) in Zone 3/4. 1.4 Long diagonal/vertical pass for Gignac in Zone 4 ( diagonal : if he moves on the flanks).
2.Romao (se Imbula è marcato) : gli stessi quattro compiti
3. Payet drops if Imbula is marked :
- The same four(4) duties (1.1 : central filtered pass for acentred winger).
Zone 3 : 1. Centrally : -If Imbula enters in Zone 3 or if Payet (or one acentred winger) receives a central filtered pass from Imbula : 1.1 They attack the Zone 4 : 1.1.1 : shoot on goal 1.1.2 : vertical pass for Gignac 1.1.3 : diagonal pass for one of the wingers 1.2 : They move the ball on the flanks, for lateral attack, attacking Zone 4.
2. Laterally :
2.1 They create lateral dynamical Rhomboideus ( Winger+WingBack+Payet+Imbula(sx) or Romao(dx) ), which through numerical superiority and ball possession, attack the Zone 4 through :
2.1.1 Lateral insertions in Zone 4 for eventual crosses.
2.1.2 Central zone in Zone 4.
*2.1 They create lateral dynamical Pentagons (Lateral dynamical Rhomboideus + Gignac (when he moves on the flank) with the same duties and creations like in 2.1.
1.Centrally : 1.1 Gignac always looks for the ball in depth. 2. Laterally : 2.1 If they create lateral insertions in the lateral zone for eventual crosses , Gignac attacks the first post, the opposite winger the second post, Payet centrally.
SPECIFIC ASPECTS of THE OFFENSIVE PHASE : 1. The wingers move in the central zone looking for filtered pass from Imbula. In those cases ,the wing backs move high up and wide. This situations are often asymmetric, but in some cases also symmetric. 2. Romao has destructive defensive duties, Imbula has constructive offensive duties. 3. Payet and Thauvin often swap positions. 4. On the flanks, often create dynamical lateral rhomboids or dynamical lateral pentagons (if Gignac partecipate), based on numerical superiority and ball possession for creating lateral attacks. 5. They create a ''cobweb'' formed from offensive dynamical triangles and rhomboids, and through positional passes (1-2-3 touches) , move the ball from one Zone in another, attacking the opponent with elevated velocity. 6. If Lemina plays in Romao’s place , the system in some cases change in 4-1-4-1 (thanks to the offensive qualities of Lemina and his low defensive capacity. 7. Gignac moves on the flanks, for creating lateral numerical superiority and creating central holes in the opponent defence for eventual insertions. 8. 7.If they lose, enters the young striker Batshuayi for one of the wingers, Gignac moves on the flank ,and Batshuayi plays centrally..
DEFENSIVE PHASE : 1. This system is used when the opponent plays with one striker (4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1, 3-5-1-1) . 2. In defence , they transform in one 4-4-2 (4-4-1-1) very tight. Very short and compact lines. One of the central defenders is marking the opponent striker and the other covers him. 3. Strong in air duels and in 1vs1 duels. 4. The wing backs are man marking the opponent's wingers (the wingers cover the flanks ,when the wingbacks move centrally for man marking the opponent's wingers. Often the wingers can't cover and the flank remains uncovered and vulnerable or the wingback remains alone in 1vs2 situation).- (WEAK TACTICAL SIDE !!!) 5. Often, Romao covers and helps the central defenders , thanks to his destructive qualities. 6. If the have a red card, the system change in 4-4-1.
7. Ultra offensive pressing :
7.1. Zone 4 : Gignac puts pressure on the opponent ball carrier.
7.2. Zone 3/2 : they create a pressing ''cobweb'' formed from dynamical triangles and rhomboids.
8. If the opponent plays with attacking midfielder(trequartista), Imbula is marking him.
9. If the opponent plays with lower playmaker, Payet is marking him.
OFFENSIVE TRANSITION :
-They attack with 5-6 players ( the four(4) up front + Imbula (Romao covers him) + one of the wing backs). If Lemina plays on Romao's place, Lemina participate in the offensive transition and Imbula is covering.
-If the ball is stolen in lateral zone in Zone 2, they immediately try to find Gignac in Zone 3/4 with a long vertical/diagonal pass.
-If the ball is stolen in central zone in Zone 2, they attack Zone 3 centrally, Gignac moves on the flank for eventual diagonal pass. The wingers also attack the flanks.
-If the ball is stolen in central zone in Zone 3:
1. they try a long shoot on the goal (Imbula, Payet) .
2. vertical pass for Gignac.
3. move the ball on the flanks.
-If Gignac steals the ball in Zone 4, the three behind him attack the space and taking advantage of the situation.
DEFENSIVE TRANSITION :
-After the ball loss, they immediately attack the opponent ball carrier with ultra offensive pressing.
-If the ball is lost in Zone 4/3, they create a pressing ''cobweb'' formed from dynamical triangles and rhomboids, which are covering and blocking the pass trajectories.
-If the ball is lost in Zone 2 or one the beginning of the Zone 3, they are very vulnerable , especially :
1) On the flanks, if the opponent's wingers move centrally and the wing-backs follow them(man marking), leaving the flanks uncovered ( the wingers don't have time to cover).
2) Centrally, if the opponent's wingers move wide.
5. SET PIECES : NEGATIVE *CORNERS: mix marking -They defend with 10 men. A) One is defending the first post,. B) The second is marking the zone in front of the goalkeeper. C) The third tries to block short passes and the trajectory of the cross. D) The others six(6) players are man marking. E) The tenth player remains out of the penalty box for receiving of the second balls and creating eventual offensive transition.
*FREE KICKS :
-They defend with 10 men.
-Two(2) in the wall (jump). The others are man marking.
-They defend with 10 men.
- 3/4 in the wall (jump) : depending from the distance. The others are man marking.
6. SET PIECES : POSITIVE *CORNERS : - If the corner is on the left side, Payet is the taker. If the corner is on the right side, Thauvin is the taker. -They attack with five(5) players: A) One (Romao) attacks the first post. B) The other three (Ayew, N'Koulou,Gignac) attack the central zone in front of the opponent's goalkeeper. C) The fifth (Payet/Thauvin) attacks the second post. -One player (Imbula) remains out of the penalty box for receiving the second balls and stopping eventual opponent offensive transition.
*FREE KICKS :
-If the freekick is on the left side, Payet is the taker. If the freekick is on the right side, Thauvin is the taker.
-They attack with five(5) players :
A) One (Romao) attacks the first post.
B) The others three (Gignac, N'Koulou, Ayew) attack the central zone in front of the opponent's goalkeeper.
C) The fifth (Payet/Thauvin) attacks the second post.
-Two players (Mendy and Imbula) are staying out of the penalty box for receiving the second balls and stopping eventual opponent offensive transition.
- Shoot on goal ( Payet, Alessandrini,Thauvin, Gignac, Imbula, Ayew).
*THROW-IN: -Long launch – trying to find Gignac in Zone 3/4 *PENALTY : -Gignac is the taker : strong shoot on the right side of the goalkeeper. Strong ,but not angled shot.
MARCELO BIELSA :
-Speaking about Bielsa, his method and his football philosophy is always a complexed and very specific thematology. Entering in his head and his ideas, speaking in metaphorical terms, is like going in the abyss and coming back from the abyss with a superior mental intelligence, seeing the football in very different and deep way, with a lot specific tactical variations . Simply : like the rize of the Fenix.
-With him , the bad players are becoming strong players. Strong players are becoming stratospheric players. Stratospheric players are becoming eternal.
-Ask Pocchettino and Tata Martino(Newell's Old Boys), ask Simeone,Tevez,Mascherano,Heinze,Ayala (Argentina), ask Sanchez,Vidal,Isla, Mati Fernandez, Medel (Chile), ask Lorente,Herrera,Javi Martinez, Munian (Athl.Bilbao).
-Mendy, DjaDjèDjè, Imbula, Lemina,Thauvin,Payet till recently were normal players with normal future without progression. Morel and Romeo were finished, without future. Gignac, Mandanda and Ayew were talented players who don't know or can't express their talent on superior level. With Bielsa's arrival, we have seen abnormal progression ,and the results speak for themselves.
-They say he is crazy. He is not crazy , simply he is smarter than the others.
Abnormal and Superior Intelligence ,which creates abnormal and superior results in this ''normal'' and ''tactical'' football community.