• Please take notes on the following information
• Record your notes on loose leaf paper
• Come to class prepared, with your own written
• Be prepared to use your notes for class activities
What is a Warm Up?
• Different movements/exercises involved
• Mimic movements you will be performing in
• Recommended to do before you begin activity
• Dynamic Movements
Dynamic Movement Examples
• Arm Circles (forward/backward)
• High knees
• Butt kicks
• Side shuffle
• Skipping with high knees
• Open the gate
• Floor sweeps
• Most any movement that prepares muscles
Benefits of A Warm Up
• Help prevent injury during exercise.
• Increased oxygen delivery and nutrients to
• Prepare muscles to stretch
• Prepare heart for activity
• Prepare nerve-to-muscle pathways
3 Key Elements of a Warm up
• 1. General Warm Up
▫ Low intensity activity designed to elevate heart
rate, increase oxygen transport and blood flow
• 2. Sport/Activity Specific Warm Up
▫ Mimic movements that you will be performing
▫ Ease into activity
• 3. Dynamic Stretching
▫ Moving through controlled range of motion to
extend a joint and prepare it for movement
Why Cool Down?
• Cooling down after exercise means slowing your
level of activity gradually.
• Allows muscles to return to their normal
temperature and avoid injury.
• Return heart rate and breathing rate to normal
• Remove waste products from muscles.
2 Key Elements of a Cool Down
• 1. Low intensity exercise
▫ slowing down the pace and exertion of
• 2. Static Stretching
▫ flexibility exercises after your cool down.
Controlled stretching while remaining