RTPT-Real Time Process Tracking System
For Manufacturing Environment
Specific to Tyre Industry
NAME: NEERAJ SRIVASTAVA
Manufacturing Execution Systems basically fill the gap between an ERP and
machines on the floor. The keyword in a system like MITS
is "Execution". An ERP system could do all the planning but if it is not
executed properly on the floor, it is of no use. It is here that a system like
MITS comes into the picture.
• Real Time Process Tracking is a Work Floor Monitoring and
Real Time Inventory Tracking System for Manufacturing
Environment involving multi stages of production cycle.
• Co-ordinate operations on the work floor to optimize work
• Integration of Production Process with Enterprise Systems
• Capture, Process, Validate Real Time Manufacturing Work
floor data, to improve the Manufacturing Process by providing
timely data and alerts for supervisors and Executives to make
Real Time Decisions.
What is RTPT ?
The new imperative for inventory control systems is to drive profits and facilitate operational performance.
In addition to tracking inventories, it’s also necessary to manage them more efficiently in order to increase
productivity. Many things must be done to accomplish this objective, however a crucial requirement is the
ability to design and deploy a system that includes the planning and management of strategic and
Progressive manufacturing companies are looking for ways to streamline their process management, while
consolidating their query, reporting and analysis tools to lower costs, simplify end-user navigation and
respond immediately to ad hoc requests. In order to achieve a flawless execution of operational demands, a
resourceful system that enables multiple critical capabilities is essential.
Continual Performance Measurement – Human efficiency reporting and analysis as well as production
reporting and analysis are necessary to provide current accurate measurements of performance and
Process Improvement – Performance and production tracking to provide the information needed to
minimize bottlenecks and waste, as well as increase production.
Efficient Tracking – Automatic inventory tracking, component tracking and inventory location tracking to
provide actionable data to managers when they need it.
Integrated Planning and Scheduling of the Manufacturing Floor – Deviations in scheduling should be
managed in a timely manner to increase production efficiencies and effectiveness.
• Most significant area of value creation.
• The shop floor is the area where the purchased raw material is
transformed into that special finished product.
• The pursuit of improvements is continuous, and often revolves
around product quality, production speeds, machine utilization and
• Customers demand first-rate quality, lower costs and rapid delivery.
• Global competition requires manufacturers to produce at an
unprecedented pace, with reductions in defects, waste and cost.
• Production schedules become outdated just minutes after they are
released due to changes in customer demand, material availability
• Machine operators struggle to understand the sequence of work to
be performed and the availability of component materials needed to
complete the work.
• Eliminate the unexpected from production operation.
• Foresee issues before they became real manufacturing
problems or detect exceptions the moment they occur…instead
of spending hours walking the production floor scanning for
• Do away with the traditional paper-based shop floor environment
and create real-time controls to streamline production.
• Mobile Inventory Tracking System (MITS) is a comprehensive and
highly customizable Manufacturing Execution System (MES) which
covers all the stages of the Tire Manufacturing process from
Mixing till Final Finish.
• MITS provides the management and synchronization of production
tasks with material flow, labor and machine resources to achieve
optimal operating performance and customer satisfaction.
• MITS can drastically improve productivity throughout the entire
manufacturing process via the reduction of non value-added
activities, an increase in data accuracy and enforcement of
operational and regulatory procedures.
• Eliminating waste throughout production – overproduction, waiting,
unnecessary inventory, defects.
• Reducing labor training and production costs
• Driving continuous improvement
• Helping ensure items are built to specified product quality
• Adhering to customer & regulatory requirements
• Gaining real-time visibility into the shop floor
• Capturing detailed product genealogies
• 1. Import of core data:
• Items – all unique raw materials, semi-finished and finished
• Bills of materials – the inputs required for making a semi-
finished or finished good
• 2. Work Order Import, Prioritization and Dispatch to the floor.
• 3. Recording Production Activity at the work cells
– Tag printing with barcodes on Mixing, Calendar, Extrusion,
Stock Prep, Beads and Slitting machines.
– Real time WIP inventory tracking
– Production Counts for PLC enabled machines.
– Machine set-up, running and downtime, along with
downtime reason codes
– Components scrapped, along with scrap reason code
– Recipe verification and validation
– Generation of payroll data for hourly employees at the end
of every shift.
• 4. Capture complete product genology including
– Who made it.
– With which machine(s)
– Which other products were made on the same machine in
a given timeframe (in case of defect)
– Which materials are in the product
– How much scrap was produced
– Data to determine cost to make each part
– Multi-level lot tracking
• 5. Performance Analysis
– Schedule Vs Actual Comparison
– Scrap Reporting
– Machine Utilization
– Operator efficiency
– Component Usage
• 6. Events and alerts – monitoring mechanisms that alert
supervisors and managers to unexpected events, such as
underproduction, defective parts or slow production times.
• Accurate job costing and tracking:
– MITS captures labor time, machine data, components used and
output material completed.
– These are all critical in helping calculate the true costs of your
– Having this data helps you identify areas for improvement and
allows you to continuously measure performance against those
• Reducing labor costs:
– MITS tells each shop floor operator exactly what to do next.
– This helps them prioritize and their work, preventing mistakes and
rework along the way.
– Every operator or crew using MITS records the time for each work
order, allowing supervisors and managers to evaluate performance
– This allows management to better incent and reward the work
force, as well as understand when to update the standards to push
even better productivity.
• Decreasing cycle times:
– MITS provides intelligent work dispatch, accurate production
execution, and seamless coordination between material
handling and the work cells.
– All of this leads to streamlined material flow and lower cycle
• Enhancing quality:
– By helping to ensure that all necessary data is collected, and
validating that the results meet appropriate criteria, MITS
drives production reporting and quality inspections.
– This leads to fewer defective products making it through the
• Improving customer satisfaction:
– All of the above lead to the most important benefit of all:
Pleasing your customers.
– By using MITS, you can deliver your products with higher
quality, lower costs and better on-time predictability.
• Outstanding system configurability:
– MITS is highly adaptable and flexible solution that allows you
to adapt your software quickly and easily to changing
business environments without excessive costs or disruption
to ongoing operations - and without modifying source code.
End of every shiftNot availableMachine Uptime/Downtime Data
End of every shift
Detailed Operator/Tire Builder production data with
Operation Charge and Operation Number
Lot Traceability - Tire Defects in Final Finish back
Build Out losses due to Build Out stock being run
on a Stock Prep Machine
End of every shift
Tire Production (Standard Rate vs Actual Rate per
(Data for Industrial Engineering for analyzing
15-30 mins (only at
the end of shift)Scheduled vs Actual Production Data
Real-time availability30 - 60 mins/ShiftGreen Tire Inventory
Real-time Availability or (15-
30 mins using Scanners)
90 - 120 mins -
ManualWIP Inventory Counts/Shift
10 - 15 mins/shift45-60 mins/shiftHourly Payroll Approval/Shift (By Shift Supervisors)
3- 5%4 - 6%Scrap Material
75-120 mins100-150 minsMachine Downtime (Tire Building Machines)
With MITSEarlierFactors of ROI for Tyre manufacturer
2000 plus employee25,000 tyres/dayProduction
Continental Tyres, Mount Vernon, ILCompany:
Benefits of MITS
Enhanced and Enriched User Interface: MITS provides an enhanced and enriched user interface in
Customizable Events and alerts: The system is easily customizable to include any events and or alerts based
on manufacturing environment requirements.
Collect Relevant, Accurate and Actionable Data: MITS only captures data that is relevant to the actions to be
carried out. Since data capture procedures go through different Business Rules implemented at different levels,
the data is thoroughly validated and accurate. As data is collected, only the action(s) required can be performed
on the captured data, and the dissemination of reporting and analysis documents can be strategically and strictly
Pedigree Tracking: System capture of the entire lifecycle of a product and or its components is available at the
touch of a button.
Item Tracking of Human and Machine Activity: MITS provides an extensive audit trail of all human and
External Device Integration: MITS provides an interface to the system controller to capture the controller data
for interpretations. Integration with barcode printers, label vendors for tagging and RFID scanners is
straightforward and standard.
Complete Tracking System: Assorted aspects of the manufacturing process can be tracked through various
stages of the component life cycle. Tracking of item life cycle, process and workflow, human resource activity on
an item and recipe for the creation of the item is provided. Items can be tracked at individual and or container
Online Offline Connectivity: MITS has full functionality both online in wired or wireless networks as well as
offline when a network is not available to the external devices. Data can be synchronized periodically when
required, preventing data loss and avoiding disruption of production operations.
A modern inventory tracking system provides
a company the means to gain a clear, accurate
and timely understanding of its operational
processes. When implemented properly, it
enables the modeling, measuring and
optimization of all production resources. It
gives managers the tools they need to direct
and achieve maximum operations and