Successfully reported this slideshow.
by : David K






Look for bias
The presenter may look towards a selection of
favorable data in an act to hide the data that
really...






You need to ask yourself is the sample large
enough to permit any reliable conclusion.
The Journal polled 1200 la...






Watch out for a switch between raw figures
and conclusion.
For example more reported cases of a disease
is not al...




Its important to remember one thing the
trend-to-now may be a fact but the future
trend is no more than an educated ...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

How To Lie With Statistics Chapter 10

205 views

Published on

Published in: Economy & Finance, Business
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

How To Lie With Statistics Chapter 10

  1. 1. by : David K
  2. 2.    Look for bias The presenter may look towards a selection of favorable data in an act to hide the data that really doesn’t support his conclusion. Who says so? Many times we hear a study from a universities, scientific laboratories, medical professional; should we believe it? Please note that while the data may have came from Cornell the conclusion is entirely dependent on the writer. So yes the study my be true but what the presenter wants to come a crossed may be emphasized and bias.
  3. 3.    You need to ask yourself is the sample large enough to permit any reliable conclusion. The Journal polled 1200 large companies and only 14% replied and the other 86% did not care to say whether they were raising their prices. It came down to this 1200 companies polled 9% said they had not raised prices, 5% said they had and 86% would not say.
  4. 4.    Watch out for a switch between raw figures and conclusion. For example more reported cases of a disease is not always the same thing as more cases of the disease. If a long term problem is being tackled, as a result of the efforts some cases recorded in other years would have been overlooked or unrecognized.
  5. 5.   Its important to remember one thing the trend-to-now may be a fact but the future trend is no more than an educated guess. For example. The number of Television sets in American homes increased around 10,000 percent from 1947 to 1952. Project this for the next five years soon we will have 40 sets per family. Its like saying you can prove that soon every family will have 40,000 sets.

×