AI Research Publication Growth -13% a year
Source: Artificial Intelligence: How knowledge is created, transferred, and used. Elsevier, 2019.
Library Involvement with AI: Case Studies
• University of Maryland at Baltimore – Staff Journal Club - M.J. Tooey
• University of Rhode Island – AI Lab - Bohyun Kim
• Survey of Library AI Potentials – Adam Griff
• University of Oklahoma University Libraries – PAIR
• (Projects in Artificial Intelligence Registry).
https://pair.libraries.ou.edu/ - Chatbots (UCI and U OK); Metadata
Generators (UU, Indiana U)
• Library and i-school survey and a bibliography – see handouts
Getting Ready for AI:
A Library Journal Club
M.J. Tooey, MLS, AHIP, FMLA
Health Sciences and Human Services Library University of
ACRL, April 12, 2019
16 participants – faculty and staff
• What does Google/Facebook know about us and
• AI in health care.
• Data (in)accuracy and its effect on AI.
• Intelligent agents and how they work.
• Library impact.
• Ethical and privacy considerations.
• Where do we go from here?
ØWhy Does AI Matters to Librarianship & the Information
ØThe URI AI Lab - https://web.uri.edu/ai/
ØMachine Learning Bias
Chief Technology Officer & Associate Professor
University of Rhode Island Libraries
1. Should librarians get involved in training their institutions’
personnel about AI?
2. What challenges do librarians face with collaborating with
their institutions on AI implementation and with identifying
appropriate information for machines to ingest?
3. How might librarians rethink their staffing and structure to
Share your experiences with AI
Reminder: Please complete an evaluation
of this panel using the conference app.