• Things which are not
• Make promises
certain:think, hope, expec I will love you for ever
t, probably, maybe
• Make offers
I will probably win the
I will help you with your
• Predictions for the future • Express a decision made at
It will rain a lot next month the moment of speaking
• Make requests
It’s hot here! I will open
Will you help me with the
• For something happening (in progress) at a
specific time in the future
Tomorrow at midday I’ll be traveling to Paris
• For something happening over a period of
time in the future
In 2100, glaciers will be shrinking faster.
• For things COMPLETED before
a time mentioned in the future
I can wait for you at 10
because I will have arrived by
• PREDICTIONS about the future
based on present evidence
Look at those thick clouds! It’s
going to rain
• FUTURE PLANS AND INTENTIONS
Iam going to study Law at university
• Things arranged between
people for the future
We are visiting my parents in
law tonight, they invited us
• Events fixed on a timetable
The train to London arrives at
CIRCLE the INCORRECT future form in each
1. How do you think climate change will affect
/is going to affect/ is affecting our country in
2. In five year’s time, no one will be driving/is
driving/ is going to drive four wheels drive
3. Next month I’m having/ I’m going to have/
I’ll be having solar panels put on my roof to
generate my own electricity.
4. We’re going to avoid / We’ll be avoiding /
We’ll have avoided flying from now on.
5. By the end of the century, many species will
be/ will have become/ will be becoming extinct.
6. This government is going to prevent/ will
prevent/ will have prevented any more rainforest
from being destroyed.
7. I think next winter most people are going to turn
down / are turning down / will turn down their
central heating to reduce their carbon emissions.
8. If everything goes as planned, this time next
year they’ll have started/ they are starting/ they’ll
be starting the new recycling project.
9. Next year I think I’m taking/ I’ll take/
I’m going to take my holidays in this
country rather than abroad.
10.Experts predict that the climate will
be/ is going to be/ will have been more
extreme in the future.