Social Media Analytics
For New Product
Zip Powered Drinks
• Zip Powder (fictional) is a line extension, powdered drink and a direct descendent of its
iconic parent brand. Zip Powder was launched in 2008, during the depths of the recession.
• We tracked early sales performance versus the Semantic Engagement Index (SEITM) from
social media channels and found a highly predictive pattern.
• Deep analysis of the content of early consumers found some surprising things
– The fact that the powdered version closely mirrored the authentic taste of the parent brand was
found to be a highly engaging quality driving consumer engagement and sales conversions. This
insight changed the media messaging in the second half of the year to more emphasize the brand
heritage, along with the innovation.
– The convenient form and authentic taste of the product made it a favorite to take to the office.
– Additional analysis also discovered much of the word-of-mouth influence affecting sales
conversions for the product came through posted and re-tweeted Twitter posts. This was a very
helpful insight directing social media efforts.
• Despite the recession, some of these marketing course corrections helped lift the SEITM
above product norm levels and resulted in the most successful new product launch in ten
SEITM & Sales Link: Zip Brand Sales & SEITM
SEI Ratio Norm
During the early stages, robust conversations were evident and the SEITM showed a strong
and predictive linkage to sales. Overall SEITM Engagement significantly above norms.
Note plotted metric is ratio of Positive to Negative SEI
Correl = 82.4%
Content Motivation Drivers of Sales Conversion
for Zip Powder
103 128 300
Zip Powder All Social Channels Engagement Content Drivers
Models reveal that the link to its parent brand in terms of Zip Powders authentic taste
and the discovery that consumers liked taking the packets to the office were major
drivers of engagement for the brand and were likewise key drivers of sales.
Social Channel Drivers
CART Analysis used to identify the social channel
1. Facebook found to have first order
importance as mainly an awareness builder,
Twitter played the most significant role in
terms of its ability to drive sales conversions.
2. Zip Brand Management should focus content
and consumer conversations around Zip’s
authentic taste and how it is an easy and
portable beverage to enjoy at the office.
Bottom Line Analytics
Partner, Analytics (EMEA)
Bottom Line Analytics
M: +44 7970 789 663