Watch a video on Picasso’s work
"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to
remain an artist once he grows up." - Pablo Picasso
"I begin with an idea and then it becomes
something else." - Pablo Picasso
• Pablo Picasso was a famous artist during the 20th
century who experimented with many different
styles and media. He is called the 'Father of
Modern Art' because he changed the way we
look at art today.
• Born: October 25 1881, Malaga, Spain
• Died: April 8 1973, Mougins, France
• Picasso’s work is divided into 3 categories: the
Blue Period, the Rose Period and Cubism.
• We will explore some of his paintings from these
Resource on “Guernica”
Click on the picture to learn more -
• Spain was involved in a Civil War during the
time July 1936 to April 1939.
• Gen. Francisco Franco tried to overthrow the
Spanish Republican government.
• The conservative general (nacionales)
received the support of Nazi Germany and the
• An estimated total of 500,000 people lost
their lives as a consequence of the War
• On April 26th 1937, a massive air raid by the German Luftwaffe on the
Basque town of Guernica in Northern Spain shocked the world. Hundreds
of civilians were killed in the raid which became a major incident of the
Spanish Civil War. The bombing prompted Picasso to begin painting his
greatest masterpiece... Guernica.
• That day – Monday – was market day in Guernica
• The comments of then Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring at the
• "I urged him [Adolf Hitler] to give support [to Franco] under all
circumstances, firstly, in order to prevent the further spread of
communism in that theater and, secondly, to test my young Luftwaffe at
this opportunity in this or that technical respect.
• The painting became a timely and prophetic vision of the Second World
War and is now recognized as an international icon for peace
View a video on “Guernica”
• You will create an on-line “self-portrait” using a site
entitled, “Mr. Picasso Head”. Create your “self-portrait” in
the style of Cubism and create your “self-portrait” in either
the warm colors of the Rose Period or the cool colors of the
Blue Period. Print your “self-portrait” and also email it to
me at: email@example.com with your name on it.
• You will also answer the 5 questions posed on the next
page about the life and work of Pablo Picasso.
• Explore the various resources I have attached here as well
as the “Color Theory” PowerPoint to gain additional
• 1. In what city was Pablo Picasso born? What is the
date of his birthday?
• 2. What are the names of the 3 periods of Picasso’s
art explored here?
• 3. How does the color choices make you feel?
• 4. What is the name of Picasso’s work that is
considered “modern art’s most powerful anti-war
• 5. After viewing Picasso’s work entitled, “Guernica” -
what did he hope to accomplish and how did he try
to do so?
Mr. Picasso Head.com
Create your own “Cubist” portrait
• In ”Pablo Picasso: His Life and Work”
WebQuest project, Spanish students will learn
about one of the most famous artists in
history, Pablo Picasso. This WebQuest project
was designed for middle school students and
is aligned with the New York State Learning
Standards for LOTE, technology and art.
• The WebQuest project included choosing,
analyzing, creating, and presenting.