Social and Societal Marketing
Presented by :1st.year MBA
GLOBAL INSTITUTE OF
• the beginning of the field of social marketing to an
article published by G.D. Wiebe in the Winter 1951-
1952 edition of Public Opinion Quarterly.
• Philip Kotler and Zaltman coined the term 'social
marketing' and defined it as "the
design, implementation, and control of programs
calculated to influence the acceptability of social
ideas and involving considerations of product
planning, pricing, communication, distribution, and
It is a marketing function that is used by the
organizations to commercially spread a social
message which can benefit to individuals and the
society by educating the people and society about a
social cause to improve their wellbeing.
examples of social marketing
• Social marketing campaign like :
• GOVT. promotes for Pulse polio vacation campaigns
• Jago grahak jago campaign to make the consumer’s
aware of their rights as a consumer.
• Ban on tobacco advertisements, ban on smoking in
• Lifebuoy’s swasthya chetana
• a five-year health and hygiene education program by
4p’s of social marketing
• The social marketing "product" is not necessarily a
physical offering. A continuum of products
exists, physical product to services (e.g., medical
exams), practices (e.g., eating a heart-healthy diet)
and finally, intangible ideas (e.g., environmental
• "Price" refers to what the consumer must do in order
to obtain the social marketing product. This cost may
be monetary, or it may be the consumer to give up
intangibles, such as time or effort.
• Here place For a tangible product, is the the distribution
system--including the warehouse, trucks, sales force, retail
outlets,. For an intangible product, place is refers to decisions
about the channels through which consumers are know
information ,This may include doctors' offices, shopping
malls, mass media vehicles or in-home demonstrations.
• Promotion consists of the integrated use of advertising, public
relations, promotions, media advocacy, personal selling and
entertainment vehicles. The focus is on creating and sustaining
demand for the product. Public service announcements or paid
ads are one .
history : The concept of Societal Marketing
emerged in 1972, promoting a more socially
responsible, moral and ethical model of
marketing, countering the consumerism way
of thinking that had been promoted by then It
was introduced in an article by Philip
Kotler, “What consumerism means for
marketers” in the Harvard Business Review
• The societal marketing is
a marketing concept that holds that a
company should make marketing
decisions by considering consumers'
wants, the company's requirements, and
society's long-term interests.
Examples of societal marketing
• The redesigned logo of Videocon to green to show
the consumers the importance of being green and
telling them that the product designed by Videocon
take care of the environment and don’t harm it at all
• The ADIDAS/NIKE told that ,”All community based
like better pay for local workers in the under develop
countries, avoiding under- age employees offer of
free sports gears for talents.
basis of difference
FOCUOS Social mkt. is entirely focused on
Societal mkt. is concerned
about the consumer and long
term benefit of the company.
SCOPE It is about changing behaviors for
the benefit of the broader society,
It is the business driven profit
oriented way of change world
means developing revenue
GOVT. & non profit org. Corporate house & business
Social gain & welfare is the
primary goal & profit motive is
always a secondary goal.
The primary goal is to earn profit
& social welfare is comes as