Group Leader: Jaime Mead
Other Group Members:
Birsen Canan-McGlone, Ilze Nix
Information provided is property of Thomas Nelson Community College for education purposes only.
What is Slideshare?
● Online service for users to share knowledge through uploading
presentations, documents, videos, and webinars on a web-based platform
● Operated by LinkedIn
● Site consists of 15 million uploads averaging over 60 million unique users
● Similar platform to TED talks
Benefits of Slideshare
○ Search and find what interests you
○ Share your content with others publicly or privately
○ Embed slideshare into websites and blogs
○ Slideshare is shareable on social media sites
■ LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter
○ Present your ideas via slideshare (similar to TED talks)
● Grow Your Business
○ Use slideshare to capture leads and analysis (Slideshare PRO)
Where to find it…?
● Basic SlideShare is available to everyone, at no cost, no dowload required,
merely navigate to www.Slideshare.net and start an account...
● However, several of the advance options are only available by ‘going PRO’ and
paying the associated monthly fee...
How to use it…?
● After presentation file is ready:
● Go to www.slideShare.net
○ Don’t have an account:
Sign Up for one
○ Already have an account: Log in to your account
● File types can be uploaded:
Presentations: pdf, ppt, pps, pptx, ppsx, pot, potx (Powerpoint); odp (Open Office)
Documents: pdf, doc, docx, rtf (MS Office); odt, ods (Open Office)
Videos: mp4, m4v, wmv, mpeg, avi, mov, mpg, mkv, ogg , asf , vob , 3gp, rm, rmvb, flv
● Maximum Allowed file size: 300 MB
Warning: Do not Upload Materials you do not have copyrights for.
How to use it ?
● To Upload a document click
● Then choose:
Bulk Upload your file .
After this point follow the directions of SlideShare and find your file to be uploaded.
Once the upload is completed, SlideShare guides you through certain setup steps:
Give a title to your presentation
Is important, makes your presentation searchable
Free SlideShare account does not have a choice. It is always public.
Save and continue
Save and contin
How to use it…?
● Next option to choose, at this point, is View Presentation.
● This allows you to see your presentation how it looks on SlideShare
● This windows also has View Analytic which means the statistics of
viewers, their comments and much more with paid subscription.
● On the top menu bar click on the right most button:
● Choose: My Uploads. Here you have a few option. The most important
one is you can remove your previous uploads or edit your options.
Using it in my Math Course
● There are some nice presentations I found, I like to share with my
○ The first is in Statistics,
the second is in mathematics/Logic
● Because we already use online technology in our classes, I would only
utilize what I find there to enhance my students learning by presenting
Is there any reason to reinvent the wheel?
Using it in my Biology course...
1. Use slideshare to view my current introductory video for online students
● Video consists of
○ welcome message
○ syllabus overview
○ visual walk through of blackboard course
2. Use slideshare to show videos from textbook. I usually embed videos in
my powerpoints however the load time into blackboard is very slow.
Click Here: Cellular Respiration
Using it in Psychology...
1. Using visually striking presentations as discussion openers for class - Eg below
presented fascinating ideas about valentine's day that can be a great segway into a discussion on love and attraction
2. Using presentations from conferences to present class with primary sources - Eg
below presented original research by author presented at an national, annual psychology conference
3. Uploading my own slides used in class for easy access to students
Slideshare without Slidecast
● A strength of Slideshare had been the ability to add pre-recorded MP3 files
through slidecast in such a way to create an audiovisual presentation.
● Slidecast is shutting down on 30 April 2014, thus no longer allowing this
option, instead only offering static presentations.
● Those still seeking a audio component will best be served going elsewhere…
● Regardless, we believe slideshare still offers great benefits...