Looking back at your preliminary task, what doyou feel you have learnt in the progression fromit to the full product of your music magazine?
This is the front cover that I producedfor the prelim task. Some of thefeedback I gained from this included thefact that the red colour of the cover linesdoes not really stand out. I learnt for mymain product to ensure that I use eitherlight text on a dark background or visaversa. Another criticism I got was thatthere was a bit too much text on thebottom near the key cover line makingthe text look confusing. Due to this Ilearnt to keep text minimal and makesure it looks organised. Feedback that Icontinued into my final music magazineproduct included a bold masthead and agood principle of thirds.
This is a final copy of the musicmagazine that I produced. Here youcan see the relevant aspects that Ilearnt from the prelim task, thisincludes aspects mentioned in theprevious slide. I also felt that Themenu bar on my prelim task did notstand out or look professional. This issomething that I included in my finalproduction.
This is the contents page that I producedfor my prelim task. I feel that this lookedvery unprofessional due to the fact that Idid not use columns. This is somethingthat I felt vastly improved my finalmagazine contents page. My feedbackshowed that the numbers were big whichwas good because they stood out well. Icontinued this into my magazine. Negativefeedback also consisted of the captions ofthe images look messy. This is againsomething I learnt to improve. I also learnthow to use which space and gutteringwell, I think this again improved the layoutof my final magazine contents design.
Here you can see the skills that I learntfrom the prelim in my music magazinecontents. I again made the word‘contents’ clear as I thought this wasimportant. As you can see, I learnt how touse a column layout, and for me, thisworked really well.
This is the draft version of my musicmagazine cover. I learnt that the shapecontaining ‘exclusive’ didnt stand out welland did not look good. I then learnt how tocreate a colour overlay on this shape. Othercriticisms were the fact that my menu stripdoes not stand out well. I also felt that thedesign features of the lines seperating thecover lines didn’t look very good as it wasthe same colour as the cover line. This issomething I changed in my final design. Thiswas also the same case with the circles onthe menu strip.
This is what I produced for the final coverof my music magazine. In this you cansee the relevant changes that I made fromthe feedback of my draft stage version.
This is the draft stage version of thecontents page. I gained feedback such asthe fact that the space at the bottom ofthe page did not stand out well. Due tothis I made a blue strip and then changedthe relevant text to which, ensuring that itstood out. For this I learnt how to use theshape tool on Photoshop. Something that Idid not know how to do prior to the prelimtask. Another aspect of the page that Ithought looked unprofessional was thebars that contain the words ‘features’ and‘on the cover’ were uneven as one went tothe edge of the page and one left whitespace. This is something I changed.
This is the final page that I producedfor my contents page. I neatened upthe information using the ruler tool.Other things that I changed are thepause button at the top which I madelighter. I also changed the image onthe bottom right hand side of the pageas I did not like the way it lookedbefore. I felt the colours were toosimilar to the image at the top andcontrasted very negatively.
One of the main aspects Ichanged from my double pagespread draft is the main bodytext. I felt that the blue colourwas too overpowering and madethe page look unprofessional.So, for my final page I reversedthe colours of the questions andthe answers, this made the pagelook more organised and moreaesthetically pleasing. I alsotook care and consideration into the white space on my pageand made sure it was even. Especially around the side bar and the pull outquote shape. The page numbers I felt did not look professional either.From my research on music magazines I learnt that having the pagenumber in the corner looked better, this is something I changed.
This is the final page that Iproduced for my doublepage spread. As well as theimprovements mentioned inthe previous slide, I alsomade changes such as theglow and shadowingaround the ‘dreaming big’in the masthead. This madethe text look better andeasier to read.
Overall I have learnt many skills on Photoshop. Previousto this course I had never used Photoshop before. Ilearnt all skills including how to cut out images, I didthis in my cover to place the artist in front of themasthead. I have also learnt skills such as making textstand out my using techniques such as drop shadowingand strokes. I feel that I have really benefitted from theskills that I have learnt and overall have found the wholeexperience very rewarding as I am pleased with the waythat my final music magazine looks. I have also learnt alot about how magazines target their audience too. Forexample through language and design features.
I also feel that I have learnt a lot aboutmagazines overall especially musicmagazines. I have learnt a lot aboutpublishing companies and keyconventions ofmagazines which are crucial in making themsuccessful. I have also learnt how magazinestarget a specific audience though use ofaspects such as language, colours and fontstyle.