RESULTS FOR OBAMA
• Sign up rate for new page was 11.6% vs 8.26% for the original--a
• They attribute 2,880,000 of the 10 million email address sign ups to
• 10% of sign ups become volunteers (280K more).
• Each address is worth $21 in donations so that change was worth $60
PLUGINS FOR A/B TESTING
• AB Press Optimizer: (http://abpressoptimizer.com)
• License key required for each site to function, not just update.
• Requires programming to run some tests.
• WordPress Landing Pages: (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/landing-pages/)
• Does run A/B testing, but it’s not the core feature.
• Max A/B: (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/maxab/)
• Only works with pages, not posts.
OPTIONS IN A/B TESTING
• Visual Website Optimizer
• Starts at $49/month for 10,000 visitors tested
• Includes heatmaps and geo-targeting
• Starts at $19/month for 2,000 visitors tested ($9/ 1K extra visitors)
• Integrates with CrazyEgg, KISSMeterics & others
WHAT I PERSONALLY GAINED
• Cut home page bounce rate to ~21%
• Customer testimonials was worth 5.5%
• Fade in at top was worth 6%
• Darker image at top was 7.7%
• Choose speciﬁc theme thumbnails based on testing.
• Sales up 51%
IF YOU STILL NEED CONVINCING...
• You can charge clients more (you’re increasing their ROI through
• You can shut up the HiPPO’s (highest paid person’s opinion).
• You can ﬁnally understand how your visitors think.
• Use free trials well. Plan them out in advance.
• Have a hypothesis and test it.
• Only test one item at a time.
• You need at least 100 conversions for the results to be
• Calls to action and headlines REALLY MATTER.
• Test early. Test often.