“The experienced mountain climber is not intimidated
by a mountain…he is inspired by it.
The persistent winner is not discouraged by a
problem…he is challenged by it”
Week #1: Ready, Set, Manage
• How would you begin your first day of school as a middle years
• How can you “learn” some tips for a successful first day?
Make a choice
• #1. I was hired to teach, not to make kids behave
• #2. You can be friendly with kids, but you can‟t be friends
• #3. Minimize student misbehavior by maximizing student
• #4. Manage your class, don‟t discipline it
• #5. Don‟t let them see you smile until Christmas
• #6. Catch „em being good
Other BIG Questions:
• What do you wish to learn in this course?
• What are your beliefs about teaching?
• What are your beliefs about good classroom management?
• Is great teaching a Science or an Art? Are some “born” to
teach while others are “trained” to teach?
• Who were influential teachers in your life? How did they
“manage” their classrooms?
• Why is this course called “Managing the Learning
Environment” and not “Classroom Management”?
• What are your “initial thoughts” about classroom
ADHD: Your Thoughts
ADHD: My Thoughts
(….the final word)
Portfolios and Plans
• Discussion: What is good teaching?
• I am a gardener – Sliderocket presentation:
• Discussion: What are my beliefs about managing the learning
• Optional Activity: Life in the Beehive – interactive “choral reading”
poem, What does this say about management?
Portfolio Piece #1:
My Philosophy of Classroom
Course Participation Tasks