Beginning Social Media Marketing for Awesome Small Businesses
Beginner Social Media
For the Awesome Small Business Owner
with your happy-to-be-here host
Why You’re Here:
• You’re awesome.
• You know how to use your personal social
media accounts, but have no clue how this will
translate over into business.
• You’re ready to take steps to get new
customers and increase your branding via
social – or have someone do it for you.
• You’re awesome.
So Who Am I Anyway?
• Amber Turrill, Director of Be-Vast Marketing
• I help clients all over the world work social
media for their own profit – including the
• Why I do it – social media is fun. Interaction is
• I’ll take your questions at anytime
Social Media – An Introduction
• Social media is not just Facebook, Twitter, etc. -
social media is a method of communication
• Many people forget other people are at the other
end of the computer - for businesses, they forget
those people are clients
• Social media is basically like taking someone's
business and private lives, throwing them out
there for the world to see and having everyone
dine out on things
• Manage Your Reputation
Determining Your Goals
• Who are you?
• What are you selling?
• Is there ROI involved (Return on Investment)?
What should the ROI be? What are you
• Followers, $, visits to website, etc.
• Strengths and weaknesses of each network
• Many folks don’t do this in a linear fashion.
The Time Factor
• Creating graphics
• Creating content/narrowing down a marketing
• Monitoring data
• Changing up strategy
• Communicating with customers
• Hire out (Elance.com, Odesk.com, Craigslist) –
• Keep it basic
• CONSISTENCY IS KEY!
• 30/30/30 Rule: Your postings should be: 30%
about interesting news stories related to
resources that could help your users, 30%
about stuff you’re selling, 30% blog posts and
info from your site, and 10% random pictures
that you find interesting, and you can use to
engage your audience.
• Hootsuite (Hootsuite.com)
• Google Docs
• Facebook ads/Edgerank
• Twitter followers/hashtags
• Think of it like talking to strangers
• Google Analytics
• Facebook Insights
• Twellow (& other examples)
• Other data monitoring examples
Communicating With Customers
• What to do
• What not to do (never backtrack!)
• How to apologize
Breaking It All Down
• Don't start without a strategy
• Conceptualize your strategy - write it out. In fact you
should do this with ALL your marketing (creating
• Have great materials before you start recruiting
• Invite friends to like your page
• DO NOT hire a following service
• Make time based on what you can handle
• Be prepared for changes
• HAVE FUN
Let me know if you need help – I’m
always here for you!
(512) 296-5065 (text ok)