Make decisions based on a scientific
Build a scientific approach based on what
is known of « real life » aka « Production »
“You can’t manage what you don’t measure.”
W. Edwards Deming,
• Different levels of knowledge:
• Level 0 : no monitoring, metrics or logs. Features are defined based on
feeling, intuitions. This is a blind approach.
• Level 1 : metrics and logs are reviewed post dev. Success is defined
based on real events and failures.
• Level 2 : decisions and actions are deducted from metrics and
statistics. We measure to validate the results of our actions.
Where are we ?
• How do we know something is wrong ?
– Customer Service: calls from customers
– Error Logs
• How do we know everything is ok ?
• How do we know if the new killer feature is used ?
• How do we know how efficient is our code ?
• Define a metrics-driven process to :
– Know applications in real life
– Evolve in a measured and verified way
1. Ask a question
2. Set an idea
3. Establish a prediction along this idea
4. Experiment to test this prediction
5. Analyse results to validate or reject the idea
6. Share results
• This approach needs a deep instrumentation of the
whole platform :
– Aggregate data from many sources
– Monitor along time
– Analyse it in real-time or at posteriori
– Decide and act accordingly
• Tools to monitor network and machines :
• Metrics :
– Server status
– Front / Service status
– Network Bandwidth
• Hard to manage :
– Related to business
– Change as business changes (often)
– Can’t be easily automated, not easily catchable
• Examples :
– Login successful/failed
– Bets placed Sport / Turf
– Casino transactions
– Challenge subscriptions
– Banners displayed
What about application ?
Application monitoring = Business monitoring
• Each application knows its own business
– Define and report their own metrics
• Examples :
– On Turf, how many races are on sale.
– On Sport, how many time it takes to place a bet.
– On Casino, how many games are currently available.
All is about Metrics
Metrics should be part of every feature.
“Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so.”
• Dashboards :
– Dev oriented
– Display metrics
– Inform if all is OK
– Emit alerts
– Real time production status
Find out more
• On https://techblog.betclicgroup.com/
• Betclic Everest Group, one of the world leaders in online gaming, has a unique
portfolio comprising various complementary international brands: Betclic, Everest
Gaming, bet-at-home.com, Expekt…
• Active in 100 countries with more than 12 million customers worldwide, the Group is
committed to promoting secure and responsible gaming and is a member of several
international professional associations including the EGBA (European Gaming and
Betting Association) and the ESSA (European Sports Security Association).
• Through our brands, Betclic Everest Group places expertise, technological know-how
and security at the heart of our strategy to deliver an on-line gaming offer attuned to
the passion of our players.