Training Title and Purpose: TVET Annual
Questionnaire and Software Training for
Private, Government and Non Government
አ ቃላይ የ TVET ትምህርት ገ ታ በግል፡ መንግስታዊ እና
መንግስታዊ ያልሆኑ TVET ተቋሞችላይ
Gulele Sub-City TVET office
BY: BERHANU TADESSE TAYE
ትወራ /projection/ mean a forecasting based on present
አዲስ ገቢ ተማሪዎች + ደጋሚ ተማሪዎች= ተማሪዎች በክፍል
TVET Annual Questionnaire and Software
Training ትምህርት ባለሙያዎች የተዘጋጀ ስል ና
General information about the training
Training duration one day
Methods of presentation, short lecture, individual
exercises, group activities and discussions, project work,
using energizer between the session and question and
Target group, private TVET data processers /owners/
Governmental and non governmental TVET data
processers /deans/ the training also accommodate for
executives, managers, supervisors,
ምዕራፍ 1፡ 1. INTRODUCTION TO EMIS:
• CONCEPTS AND FEATURES
• EMIS and Related Concepts
• ምዕራፍ 2 የተማሪ ብዛት ትወራ ስልት
• ምዕራፍ 3፡ የሚጣሉ ግቦችና የተማሪዎች ትወራ
• ምዕራፍ 4፡ መሰረታዊ ግብዓቶችን መተወር
• ምዕራፍ 5፡ የ፤ልፍ ግብዓቶች ዋጋ መገመት፡፡
Annual Questionnaire all private and government TVET institute focused to fill the particular
document of Microsoft office Excel the doc name is 2. TVET institutions Questionnaire it holds
from page one to page eight and annex 1, 2 and OS streaming
1. I/. INSTITUTION IDENTIFICATION AND LOCATION
2. IV/. Characteristics and condition of buildings
3. V/. TRAINER AND ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF DESCRIPTION
4.1. VI/. ENROLMENT DATA (Regular Program)
4.2. VI/. ENROLMENT DATA (Regular Program) Conti ….
5.1.VII/. ENROLMENT DATA (Evening Program)
5.2.VII/. ENROLMENT DATA (Evening Program) Conti ….
6. VIII/. Program Completers and Dropouts (number of trainees who completed and Dropout last year)
7. IX/. REFERENCE S AVAILABLE
8. XI/. INSTITUTION GENERAL INFORMATION
Annex1 - To be used for filling enrollment and buildings
CATALOGUE OF OCCUPATIONAL STANDARDS
Annex 2 - To be used to fill teachers description and books
CATALOGUE OF OCCUPATIONAL STANDARDS
• ምዕራፍ 1 What is EMIS
• The acronym EMIS stands for “Education
Management Information System”.
• It is a system for organizing information base in a
systemic way for the management of educational
• Its function is collecting, storing, integrating,
organizing, analyzing, managing and distributing
information for educational planning and
• It provides timely, cost effective and user appropriate
information to support educational planning and
• What is EMIS? (Con’t…)
• It provides information on state of education, its
internal and external efficiency, its pedagogical
and institutional operations, its performance, its
shortcomings and needs.
• It includes tool (software) to assist in data
collection, storage and analysis.
• It collects and stores data, but also processes
information that is used for formulating
educational policies, management, monitoring
Diagram 1: Information pyramid to indicate the levels of hierarchy
in the development of information.
At the base of the pyramid are fundamental
letters, numerals, other codes, such as signs.
What is data/information?
• Data is the raw material to a finished
product- which is information.
o Information is data that has been put
into meaningful and useful context.
2. The Benefits of EMIS
Improving capacities in collecting, processing,
storing, analyzing and disseminating data in order
that decision makers, administrators, and
managers could base their decisions on timely
and reliable data.
Centralize and coordinate the dispersed efforts in
acquiring, processing, analyzing and
disseminating education management information
Rationalize the nature and flow of information
necessary for decision making by reducing and
eliminating duplication, and by filling in the
B. Institutional Framework/structure of EMIS in Ethiopia
TVET Agency, Regional Education
Sub-City TVET office and Woreda Education
TVET institutes and other Educational Establishments
4. Principles of Data Collection
In order to produce quality, reliable and useful data,
data collection must be guided by certain core
principles. Some of the principles are :-
• The data collected should be based on clear
definitions free of all ambiguities.
• Data gathering instruments and tools must be as
clear as possible.
• In order to have shared understanding, standard
terminologies must be used in order to facilitate
communication nationally and internationally.
•Getting data that is complete (fewer or no
•The data should be complete in the sense that
they should be based on a complete list of the
public and private education establishments.
•This principle stresses that the data should be
accurate or exact.
•The data collected must be checked for
exactness at all stages of data collection, data
entry and compilation
•This principle underlines that the data should be
•Aggregation of data should be carried out without a
significant loss due to aggregation in information, and
the possibility of tracing information must be ensured.
•The time that the national Education Statistics Annual Abstracts
should be released.
•Lack of updated and timely data is a real challenge for education
planners and decision makers.
•Current or up-to-date information enables planners to base future
initiatives on what they know to be existing capacity and realities
in the education sector.
•There are often too long time-gaps between data collection and
publication, planning and monitoring in education.
• The comprehensibility (readability) of the data that it should be
accessible in terms of difficulty to read.
• The collected data should be simple in concept and easy to
• Accessibility may also refer to the availability of the data for
It should be frequently released/reported according to
the planned EMIS schedule for activities and
Any delay from deadlines will create delay leading to
un-timeliness of data discussed in the above section.
All the data must be recorded using the same definition
and measurement within the system.
5. The EMIS Life cycle
በቅድሚያ /First Steps/
• ትወራው ለስንት ዓመት እንደሚሰራ መወሰን /Decide the
number of years for which you want to plan/
• ለሶስቱ አመልካቾች ግብዓቶችን መወሰን /Establish
targets for the three indicators that
determine student enrollment /
Apparent Intake Rate 2003-2007
N.B Target in 2008 is 105% and assuming the growth rate is constant
Year Age 7 AIR AI
20,000 70% 14,000