2. At the end of this topic participants will be able to
know what is the difference between acquisition and
Identify the importance of learning in language
Understand the importance of acquisition
• Subconscious process where individual is not aware, the acquirer generally does
not realize that he or she possesses any new knowledge.
• Gradual development of ability
• It happens naturally in communicative situations
• It happens through interaction with the ones who speak the language natively,
where the language is spoken.
• Focus on meaning and communication not on grammatical forms.
• Acquisition requires meaningful interaction in the target language, during which
the acquirer is focused on meaning rather than form.
• Learning a language, on the other hand, is a conscious process, much like what
one experiences in school. New knowledge or language forms are represented
consciously in the learners mind, frequently in the form of language “rules” and
“grammar” and the process often involves error correction. Language learning
involves formal instruction and according to Krashen, is less effective than
• Applies to a conscious process of accumulation of knowledge.
• Vocabulary grammar, rules are presented and learned in controlled environments.
• Activities and methods are designed to allow this conscious process to occur.
5. Language acquisition vs. learning/second language
theory, youtube, uploaded by joshEsl.com, july 4 2016
English language acquisition vs. learning, youtube,
uploaded by A.J. Hope, sep 19 2019
6. DISCUSSION PROPER
According to stephen
krashen, a proffesional
researcher and political
there are two independent
systems of second language
performance: 'the acquired
system' and 'the learned
system'. The 'acquired
system' or 'acquisition' is
the product of a
subconscious process very
similar to the process
children undergo when they
acquire their first language
8. Acquisition involves the subconscious acceptance of knowledge where
information is stored in the brain through the use of communication.
Opposingly,learning is the conscious acceptance of knowledge 'about' a
language, such as the grammar or style.
learning can only test a person's knowledge of grammar, but when a person
has to focus on the content he is producing, mistakes in grammar will occur.
Acquisition will not only teach you to learn, it also giving us a chance to
develop our vocabulary and inner intelligence by learning without doing too
much effort because our mind work for it gradually.
Always remember that, If we want to “learn” about language,
we have to “acquire” it first.
Educating the mind without educating the heart is no
education at all.
Thank you for listening to my report and effort.
9. 1. Why is it important to acquire language?
2. Give atleast one profession of krashen
3. What do you call knowledge by memorizing and reading the task?
4. What type of language is enhance in natural way?
5. It involves formal instruction and according to Krashen, is less
6. Who is going to acquire and learn the language?