In the car industry, Formula 1 provides a commercial testbed for cutting-edge technologies. The Ubuntu Edge project aims to do the same for the mobile phone industry -- to provide a low-volume, high-technology platform, crowdfunded by enthusiasts and mobile computing professionals. A pioneering project that accelerates the adoption of new technologies and drives them down into the mainstream. Visit http://igg.me/at/ubuntuedge/x/4039162 for more info.
“The Ubuntu Edge is a proposed "high
concept" smartphone announced by Canonical Ltd. on 22
July 2013. Canonical is seeking to crowdfund a production
run of around 40,000 units through Indiegogo.”
● More than 9.8 millions raised so far,
● 21000 campaign backers from all over the world, number
● 13962 Ubuntu Edges sold so far and keeps selling.
“If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much
room. Say hello to the Ubuntu Edge, the first smartphone to use
open-source Ubuntu Touch software as well as Android”
“By this time next year, there could very well be one very
elegant looking, monstrously powerful smartphone that can
actually become a computer”
– Silicon Angle
“In case you haven’t been following the story, the Edge is an
awfully handsome concept for a phone that will run Ubuntu and
“Apparently the Ubuntu community is nuts about this idea.
Within just under eight hours... some $2 million in donations to
the project have flooded in, making it what's said to be the
fastest and thus perhaps most successful crowdfunding effort
– Fast Company http://igg.me/at/ubuntuedge/x/4039162
“Biggest & Fastest Crowdfunding Ever!”
Exclusive to Indiegogo backers. The Edge will NOT be
available to buy at launch.
● Specs to be finalised as late as possible to ensure the best
● Dual-boots into Ubuntu mobile OS and Android; converts into a
full desktop PC.
● Works with LTE and GSM networks, including Verizon and
● Perks include all charges for US and UK, including VAT and
● Standard manufacturer warranty will apply once manufacturer is
selected.Zero cost to backers if the campaign is unsuccessful.