Philippians part 1 - The life of joy - Introduction
The Life of Joy 1 – Introduction andThemesStudies in the Book of Phillipians
Introduction& Themes7 Thingsthat give usJOY7 Thingsthat rob ourJoy7 Promisesfor JOY,Peace &Fulfillment7 Steps tosustain JoyThe Book of Philippians – Life of JoyA five part studyIntroduction& Themes7 Thingsthat give usJOY7 Thingsthat rob ourJOY7 Promisesfor JOY,Peace &Fulfillment7 Steps toSustain JOY
Introduction• Philippians reveals the joyous attitude of theapostle Paul• Along with joy, we see Paul’s gratitude towardand commitment to the Lord• Paul’s matured faith in Christ enabled him toendure and even rejoice in the midst of greattrials
Introduction• Joy or some form of it mentioned 16 times inthis letter• A letter also emphasizing thanksgiving• A letter that speaks of unity in Christ• A letter that speaks of peace of mind andcontentment even in midst of great trials
What Were The Purposes ofThe Letter?• Thanks them for their past support and presentgift sent by Epaphroditus• Expressed his joy and thanksgiving in hisimprisonment which God was using to spreadthe gospel and encourage brethren• Encouraged them to rejoice and continueprogressing in the faith• Reveals his peace, contentment and strength inChrist
Philippians: Major Themes• 1. I Rejoice Therefore You Rejoice– For Paul, joy is a key component of the Christian life-- a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22) and "joy in thefaith" (Philippians 1:25). "The kingdom of God is ...righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit"(Romans 14:17).• 2. Fellowship– Koinōnia is another keyword in Philippians."Partnership" (NIV), "sharing" (NRSV), and"fellowship" (KJV) is the Greek noun koinōnia,"close association involving mutual interests andsharing, association, communion, fellowship, close
Philippians: Major Themes• 3. Unity and selflessness– The Philippians, beloved as they are by Paul, havesome bickering and dissention going on. You cansee this thread going throughout the short letter,sometimes subtly, by inference, and sometimeshead-on.• 4. ―In Christ‖– We see this phrase again and again in Philippians:In Christ" or "in the Lord," the common Greekprepositional phrase en Christō or en kuriō. Thepreposition en here means, "under the control of,under the influence of, in close association with.―Paul anchors all of the Christian life in ones
The Pursuit of happiness.. everywhere• Shawn Achor is the winner of overa dozen distinguished teachingawards at Harvard University, wherehe delivered lectures on positivepsychology in the most popular classat Harvard. His research and lectureson happiness and human potentialhave received attention in The NewYork Times, Boston Globe, The WallStreet Journal, as well as on NPR and CNN Radio.9
The Pursuit of happiness..everywhere• Delivering happiness – Zappos – Tony Tseih– Chief happiness officer!• Happiness is a success measure in Bhutan.Models of happinessWork hard = Success = HappinessBe happy = Work hard = Success
Models of happinessWorkHardSuccessBeHappyBeHappyWorkhardSuccess
Biblical Model for Joy• So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continueto live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him,strengthened in the faith as you were taught,• .continue to work out your salvation with fear andtrembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act inorder to fulfill his good purpose.In ChristCol 2:6.7Phil 2:12,13• ―I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I inyou, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing...You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you sothat you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so thatwhatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.• I can do all this through him who gives me strength.AccomplishedworkJohn 15:6, 16Phil 4:13• ―As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain inmy love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love,just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in hislove. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and thatyour joy may be complete.• For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gainLasting JoyJohn 15:9-11Phil 1:21
Happiness JoyExternal InternalDependent on circumstances Independent of circumstancesEmotional response Act of the willHaving what want Wanting what you haveExternal Euphoria Inner ContentmentEffect CauseResult FoundationInconsistent ConsistentTemporary EternalHappiness verses Joy
Jesus lived in a spirit of joy!• so that through my being with you again yourjoy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account ofme - Phil. 1:26• I have told you this so that my joy may be inyou and that your joy may be complete. - John15:11• ―You have loved righteousness and hatedwickedness; therefore God, your God, has setyou above your companions by anointing youwith the oil of joy.‖- Heb. 1:9• Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author andperfector of our faith, who for the joy set before
1. Rejoice…The joy that Paul writes about based on a deepabiding commitment to and trust in the Lord, notin external circumstances• 1:4 " In all my prayers for all of you, I alwayspray with joy…."• 1:18 "The important thing is that in every way,whether from false motives or true, Christ ispreached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes,and I will continue to rejoice…."
1. Rejoice…• 1:25-26 "Convinced of this, I know that I willremain, and I will continue with all of you foryour progress and joy in the faith, so thatthrough my being with you again your joy inChrist Jesus will overflow on account of me."• 2:2 "Make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one inspirit and purpose."
…and again I say, rejoice• 2:16-18 "But even if I am being poured out likea drink offering on the sacrifice and servicecoming from your faith, I am glad and rejoicewith all of you. So you too should be glad andrejoice with me."• 2:28-29 "Therefore I am all the more eager tosend him, so that when you see him again youmay be glad and I may have less anxiety.Welcome him in the Lord with great joy, andhonour men like him…."• 3:1 "Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord!"
…and again I say, rejoice• 4:1"Therefore, my brothers, you whom I loveand long for, my joy and crown, that is how youshould stand firm in the Lord, dear friends!"• 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say itagain: Rejoice!"• 4:10 " I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at lastyou have renewed your concern for me."
1. Rejoice…• For Paul, joy is a key component of theChristian life -- a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians5:22) and "joy in the faith" (Philippians 1:25)."The kingdom of God is ... righteousness,peace and joy in the Holy Spirit" (Romans14:17).• This is not just a present joy in the midst oftrials, but a joy that will reach its completion inthe future Kingdom of God.
2. Fellowship, partnership,sharing…• 1:5 "I always pray with joy because of yourpartnership in the gospel from the first day untilnow."• 1:7 "... All of you share in Gods grace with me."• 2:1 "... if any fellowship with the Spirit...."
2. Fellowship, partnership,sharing…• 3:10 "I want to know Christ and the power of hisresurrection and the fellowship of sharing in hissufferings...."• 4:14 "Yet it was good of you to share in mytroubles."• 4:15 "Not one church shared with me in thematter of giving and receiving, except you only."
3. Unity and selflessness• 1:15-17 Paul tells about Romans preaching withenvy and rivalry in order to speak to thePhilippians about the same issue in their midst.• 1:27 Let your manner of life be worthy of thegospel.• 1:27 Stand firm in one spirit, with one mind,striving side by side for the faith of the gospel.
3. Unity and selflessness• 2:2-4 Be in full accord and of one mind, samemind, same love. Do nothing from selfishness.Care about the interests of others.• 2:5-11 Jesus self-humiliation and exaltation bythe Father used as an example of humilityneeded within the church.• 2:14 Do all things without grumbling orquestioning.• 2:21 They all look after their own interests, notthose of Jesus Christ.
3. Unity and selflessness• 3:2-3 Judaizers trying to impose circumcisionon the Philippians.• 3:3-8 Confidence in the flesh, ones pedigree,holiness, and status.• 3:17-19 Imitate me and those who liveaccording to my example. Earthly focus vs.heavenly one.• 4:2 Exhorts Euodia and Syntyche to agree inthe Lord.• 4:8-9 Honourable, upright living, modelled by
4. ―In Christ‖• 1:1 "To all the saints in Christ Jesus atPhilippi…."• 1:14 "Most of the brothers in the Lord havebeen encouraged…."• 1:26 "Your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow onaccount of me"
4. ―In Christ‖• 2:19 "I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothyto you soon…."• 2:24 "And I am confident in the Lord that Imyself will come soon."• 2:29 "Welcome him in the Lord with greatjoy…."
4. ―In Christ‖• 3:1 "Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord!"• 3:3 "For it is we who are the circumcision …who glory in Christ Jesus…."• 3:8-9 "That I may gain Christ and be found inhim…."• 3:9 "The righteousness … that which is throughfaith in Christ…."• 3:14 "I press on toward the goal to win the prizefor which God has called me heavenward inChrist Jesus."
4. ―In Christ‖• 4:2 "I plead with Euodia and I plead withSyntyche to agree with each other in the Lord."• 4:4 "Rejoice in the Lord always."• 4:7 "And the peace of God, which transcendsall understanding, will guard your hearts andyour minds in Christ Jesus."• 4:10 "I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last youhave renewed your concern for me."• 4:21 "Greet all the saints in Christ Jesus."
Discussion Questions• How does the world’s formula for happinessdiffer from the biblical formula for joy?• What are joy killers? How do we overcomethem?• What are the other major themes in thePhillipians? How do they relate to the maintheme of joy?
Are we pursuing?• Happiness or Joy?• Fellowship with His followers?• A united & selfless life?• A life rooted in CHRIST?This presentation is available at:www.bibletransforms.com