What is Python?
• A programming language
o Open Source
o General purpose
o Easy to interface with C/C++/Java/Fortran
o Great interactive environment
• There is no best programming language
o It’s up to your needs
• First Implementation on 1989
• by Guido van Rossum
• Python 2.0 released at 2000
• Python 3.0 released at 2008
• First in CWI in Science Park Amsterdam.
• 2005 – 2012 in Google
• Present at Dropbox
• emphasize code readability:
o Beautiful is better than ugly.
o Explicit is better than implicit.
o Simple is better than complex.
o Complex is better than complicated.
o Readability counts.
print(“Hello World !")
• Speed up Coding Process
Make Designing Workflow Easier
• Used in Complex Mathematic & Physics Calculation
o AstraZeneca (Drug Discovery)
• GIS and Mapping
o The Blind Audio Tactile mapping System
o Carmanah Lights the Way
• Civilization IV
o Major parts of the interface, map
generation, and scripted events are written
entirely in Python, and can be customized.
o Uses Python for all of its addons and a lot of its
• Bit Torrent
• D-Link Australia
o Control Firmware Updates
• Mozilla Website (with Django)
• Socket Programming