• Divide the class into 5 groups
For each group hand over the handout:
Giving the class a time to discuss
within a group (allow them 20 mins.)
1. Define tourism policy, tourism planning,
tourism product development and explain
2. Explain the dimensions of tourism
planning in terms of level, time frames,
scopes and spatial units.
3. Describe tourist’s special characteristics
as a product and their implications on
4. Explain the benefits of planning
5. Explain the stages in the Tourism Area
6. Discuss the type and variety of tourism
- Kind of Tourism Resources Adjacent
7. Discuss the Awareness of External
Forces and Financial Capital Requirement
(Underline its key words)
Tourism Policy – Set of rules, regulations,
development/promotion objectives and
Tourism Planning - is goal-oriented,
striving to achieve certain objectives by
matching available resources and
programs with the needs and wants of
Tourism Product Development - focuses on
development and provision of experiences, services
and infrastructure that exceeds customer
expectations. With particular emphasis on the
• Protecting our natural environment and culture.
• Strengthening and building on tourism demand influencers.
• Strengthening and building on destination areas.
• Generally upgrading and enhancing the market readiness of
tourism products and services.
• Improving traveller services and transportation infrastructure,
most particularly ferry services and highway signage.
• Strengthening the industry and government organizations.
Tourism Site – area that contains 1
or more tourist attractions
4 Categories of attractions:
Tourism Dev. Area
• Area designated for possessing an
important site or groups of tourist site.
• Any town or city that has one or more
tourist sites considered as TDA
• Composed of two or more TDA (consist of
towns located in different provinces.)
• Route involving at least three major tourist
destinations in which are located in
Ex. Gastronomic circuit (Pampanga, Bicol,
surfing circuit (La Union, Baler, Calicoan)
• Tourist destinations are intangible
• Tourist destinations have long gestation
• Tourism is very capital intensive
• Tourism is subject to external forces (political,
weather, natural calamities, currency
fluctuations, international relations)
• Highly dynamic
• Stakeholders commitments (local community,
associations, govt offices, indigenous people)
• Mental exercise
• Prevents waste of time, money, effort
• Helps avoid mistakes
• Contributes to the development of social
Type and Variety of Tourism
Tourism development depends on the area’s
resources. Such as the geographical location
and size, abundance of the natural resources.
Kind of Tourism Resources
Originality – first in a particular attraction
Indigenousness – uniqueness about the place
Authenticity – methods of preparation
Uniqueness – not found in everyone else
Historicity – significant event
Magnitude – being the tallest, smallest, biggest,
Excellence – having the highest quality
Stages in the Tourism Life Cycle
NATIONAL TOURISM POLICY
“The State declares tourism as an indispensable
element of the national economy and industry
of national interest and importance which
must be harnessed as an engine of socio
economic growth and cultural affirmation to
generate investment, foreign exchange, and
employment and continue to mold an
enhanced sense of national pride for all
filipinos” RA 9593 “Toursim Act 2009
• Nationalist orientation
• Sustainable tourism develpment
• Ecologically sustainable, responsible,
participative, culturally sensitive, economically
viable, ethically and socially equitable for local
• International target market
• Tourism product diversification
• Visit the Hinilugang Taktak.
- Make a written report of the most popular
water falls in the Philippines in the 60’s and
- Does this tourist destination culturally
sensitive for the Antipolenos?
- Does the city able to sustain the place
- Does the falls has the potential to get a
foreign markets? Why?
- If you are a part of the tourism planner of this
place. How would you develop and sustain the
natural beauty of the place?