DIGITAL NO LONGER A “BOLT ON”
• 10 years ago, agencies were embracing digital.
• However, clients still veered towards traditional media.
• Forward thinking clients would allow a digital “bolt on” for existing campaigns.
• 5 years ago in the world of whisky, you probably had a website (full stop)!
• 2009 – 2012, marketing programmes around whisky focused on:
• Point of sale in store and in bar
• Bar tender recommendations
• In 2012, there seemed to be a change with how single malts embraced digital….
• Now it’s the first type of media we think about.
• Social media is primary focus.
• Digital advertising is secondary focus.
• All other offline elements fall into line behind digital.
• Most importantly, all “call to actions” point people back online.
GOING THROUGH THE “CHANGE”…
WHY HAS THIS CHANGED
Single malt is emotional so people can
express this online for free
You belong to a global community in
single malt. Social media connects you in
to a World Whisky Club The opinion formers are mostly online.
Blogs and media – enthusiasts have
become the authority
Private members clubs for brands
growing in strength. Becoming strongest
way to build loyalty.
Whisky is all about opinions, reviews and
recommendations so can reduce risk
(the price tag!)
BEST WAY IS TO DEMONSTRATE DIGITAL’S NEW
FOUND IMPORTANCE IS THROUGH…