3. What is an IXP?
4. Why it is needed?
• IXPs help reduce the portion of an ISP's traffic that must be delivered via their
upstream transit providers, thereby reducing the average per-bit delivery cost of
• IXPs play an essential role in reducing the cost of transit connections over the
6. To ReachThe Destination……
• Study – historical data to get the idea of NIX Operation
• Observation- others NIX to get the GraphicalView of a NIX.
• Plan – what we would like to do and how.
• Deployment – begin the journey towards the Goal.
• Challenges – what we have faced.
• Initiatives – to overcome those challenges what we have
• Configuration – what changes we have made.
10. Operational View of a Route Server
11. How Challenges we have faced during the “Route Server” Deployment
- Route Server Selection: Router or Linux Server
- “Open source” Routing daemon Selection:
• FRR (fork of Quagga)
• Quagga (LINX fork)
BIRD is used in several Internet Exchanges, such as the London Internet Exchange (LINX), LONAP,
DE-CIX and MSK-IX as a Route Server, where it replaced Quagga because of its scalability issues.
- BIRD Version Selection:
- Version 1.6, 1.7, 2.0.7, 2.0.8, 2.0.9, 2.0.10 (27.6.2022 - New release)
12. Why we select BIRD Version 2.0.9?
• BGP: Flowspec validation procedure
• Babel: MAC authentication support
• CLI: New 'show route in <prefix>' command
• Filter: Faster (16-way) prefix sets
• Filter: MPLS label route attribute
• Filter: Operators to pick community components
• Filter: Operators to find minimum and maximum element of lists
• BGP: Log route updates that were changed to withdraws
• BGP: Improved 'invalid next hop' error reporting
• OSPF: Allow ifaces with host address as unnumbered PtP or PtMP ifaces
• OSPF: All packets on PtP networks should be sent to AllSPFRouters address
• Scripts for apkg-powered upstream packaging for deb and rpm
• Support for Blake2s and Blake2b hash functions
• Security keys / passwords can be entered in hexadecimal digits
• Memory statistics split into Effective and Overhead
• Linux: New option 'netlink rx buffer' to specify netlink socket buffer size
• BSD: Assume onlink flag on ifaces with only host addresses
• Many bugfixes
15. To Overcome the Challenge for Drop the UndesirableTraffic
1. BGP Flow Spec Implementation
2. RTBH Implementation
16. How RTBH is Dropping the UndesirableTraffic ?
ISP-01 RS-1 RS-2
17. Validate BGP prefixes advertised by
networks constituting the Internet.
Challenge-02: Route OriginValidation
18. RPKIValidator Deployment
Route Server Cluster
Resource Public Key Infrastructure (RPKI) is
an opt-in service that provides security for
Routinator is a full-featured RPKI Relying
Party software package that runs as a service
which periodically downloads and verifies RPKI
20. SIPIX Diagram for Inter Communication
21. Major Challenges What We have faced for SIPIX
- Unlimited concurrent calls.
- Minimum Call SetupTime.
- Ensure HighVoice Quality all time.
- Ensure High Availability
22. What Initiatives we have taken against the Challenges
Unlimited concurrent calls is depends on No. of Cores & RAM.
I have allocate more Core and RAM for the SIPIX Server as required.
Minimum Call SetupTime is depends on Optimized Routing.
We have worked to do the same as required.
To Ensure HighVoice Quality all time, We have provided G711 Codec.
To Ensure High Availability, we are working for the same.
25. Root Server Anycast Instances Deployment
1. Meet the Requirements of the Operators for the ROOT Instance.
2. Availability of the Equipment's as need for deployment.
3. Deployment Plan for the Anycast Root DNS for the Specific Region.
Initiatives for the Deployment:
1. We have communicated with Some DNSOperator for the Anycast Root Instance
2. After getting the green signal from the operator, we have provided the required
3. Hope that, we will get the Root Server instance with in short possible time.
27. Providing Routing Transparency
Looking Glass provides you with information
relative to backbone routing and network
efficiency, providing you with the same
transparency that customers on our network
Route Server Cluster
31. What is IXP Manager?
- Manage peers, contact details and users.
- Single solution to document everything (Switches, Ports, Ips, Cabling)
- Provides statistics and insights to peers (MRTG, Smokeping, Sflow)