Balls, Ballots, Bollywood
Oct 12, 2008
Before you begin
1. This is a quiz on Indian Politics, Hindi Films, and Indian Cricket.
2. This quiz was conducted on Oct 12, 2008 under the aegis of the BCQC by J. Ramanand.
3. These are the 24 questions from the preliminary round.
4. Almost all questions are set in the post-Independence era.
5. A detailed report of the quiz is available here. To know how the quiz was put together, read “The Making of Balls, Ballots, and
6. The highest score in the elims was 19, with the cutoff being 9.
7. The audio-visuals are in the accompanying document.
8. Note to potential question-scalpers: you are free to share and reuse these questions provided you clearly attribute the questions to
the author. In particular, the facts in these questions are in the public domain but in the case where you are re-using the framing of
the question, the author requests the courtesy of due credit!
About the BCQC
The BCQC is the premier quizzing club in Pune and aims to make available stimulating quizzing for anyone interested in the sport.
Our quizzing is free and open for all ages. Visit us at www.bcqc.org to know more.
1. He was the first batsman to score a hundred in the Ranji Trophy. He also represented India in the Davis Cup. The runner- up trophy
in the Moin-ud-Dowla Memorial Tournament is named after him. Who?
Was once voted the most promising schoolboy cricketer in Bombay along with Tendulkar.
Ineligible to be picked for domestic cricket in 2003-04.
Finished Ranji career with Tripura.
3. Till date, which international player’s only outing for a Pakistan XI was as a substitute against a Cricket Club of India XI to
commemorate the Golden Jubilee of the CCI?
4. What distinction is common only to Anju Jain (29), V. Sehwag (82) and K. Srikkanth (38)?
5. Who coached the Indian ODI squad for the semi-finals (vs Aus) and the finals (vs Pak) in the 1994 Australasia Cup held at Sharjah?
6. Since May ’08, the Adam Smith College in Fife, Great Britain, offers annual education scholarships to 10 Indian students. PM
Gordon Brown himself invited this person to be part of this scheme. After whom is this scholarship named?
7. (visual) Whose handwriting?
8. Who was the first Parsi Test Captain of India?
9. (visual) Identify this former minister
10. ____ Baba was a legendary figure from Bhojpur in Bihar in the 19th century. He helped the Bhumihars in securing power in the
area. What is named after him?
11. The Bahujan Samaj Party is a recognised national party. However, there are only two states which it can't use its election symbol.
One is Sikkim, where the symbol is allotted to the Sikkim Sangram Parishad. The other is a state where a leading regional party
has that symbol. Which is this party ?
12. Some of his career highlights: 1988-1990: CM of his state; 1990-91: Leader of Opposition, State; 1991: re-elected to Lok Sabha for
the 4th time from Tura constituency; 91-96: Union Minister of state for coal and labour, later cabinet minister for I&B; 1996-98:
held an important post. Who?
13. Identify A & B (half points each).
A is now a Rajya Sabha member from Rajasthan. A was the deputy chairperson of the Rajya Sabha from 1988 to 2004. A was the
loser in an important 2007 election.
B preceded A as deputy chairperson of the Rajya Sabha, from 1986 to 1988. B was the governor of Rajasthan from 2004 to 2007.
B won an important 2007 election.
14. It was launched on 23 Jan, 1989. The launch was preceded by banners stating: “Dainik navhe, Sainik” (meaning “not a Daily, but a
Soldier” ). What ?
15. (audio) Identify the politician
16. If I was born on 26th Nov, 1979, who was the Prime Minister of India that day?
17. He has probably hosted the most Filmfare Award ceremonies, including the very first one in 1953. He won the first ever Filmfare
award for Best Supporting Actor in 1954, for a Raj Kapoor production. Later, came to be noted for his short roles in the late 70s.
18. (visual) Provide the name.
19. Give both these actors (half points each).
Actor 1's real first name is X, but his first name in films is Y. In 1996, he acted as X in a film called X. In two of his earliest films,
his character was named Y, including a film called Y.
Actor 2’s real first name is Vishal, but his filmy first name is X. In his first film, his character was called X.
20. Kishore Kumar won 5 Filmfare awards for Best Male Playback Singer between 1980 to 1985, with only one loss in 1981. Who won
in 1981 and for which film ? (half points each)
21. (video) Name the film.
22. (video) If the audio was on, what would you hear?
23. (visual) Identify this person
24. (visual) Identify movie