High Quality Speech and Language Services for Richmond Preschoolers.... Now with Less than Half the Wait!
High Quality Speech and Language
Services for Richmond Preschoolers
… now with less than
half the wait!!
Andrea Gates, M.Sc., RSLP
Richmond Public Health
Speech and Language Program
I am an employee of Vancouver Coastal
I have no relevant financial or nonfinancial relationships in the services
described in this presentation.
This is a story about a team …
who cut wait times by 50%.
Once Upon a Time
(circa September 2010)
Wait times for ongoing services were about 1 year.
Importance of Early Intervention
• Investments in early language development
benefit future language abilities, literacy,
socialization and behaviour.
The Art of Possibility
“What might I now invent,
that I haven’t yet invented,
that would give me
From “The Art of Possibility” by Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander, Penguin Books, 2000
• no family has a reason to be dissatisfied with
timeliness and quality of services provided
• parents feel empowered to help child while waiting
• services provided match
• wait times meet national
• Trained all team members in
Lean problem solving tools
• Increased staffing – speech language & social work
• Capitalized on already engaged team
• Dedicated time semi-annually (recently two full days with entire team) to
• Piloting dedicated weekly or biweekly time saved in everyone’s schedules
for quality improvement project work
Wait Time Target Smashed!
Target of 48 weeks, result of 24 weeks
Wait Time for SLP Services
Wait Time (Weeks)
Oct 2012 Dec 2012 Jan 2013 Feb 2013
Keys to Success
Collect and use data
“Goal is zero; target is improvement”
Problem solving tools and time to apply
Plan, Do, Study, Act
… but don’t forget to DO