The sport where YOU
are the search engine
What is Geocaching?
• A high-tech treasure hunt
• Need a GPS
• Seek a cache based on latitude and
• This is not just a teaching tool, it’s a
• Global Positioning System
• Approx: $100-$500
• Garmin and Magellan
are the most popular
• Can download cache
info into the receiver if it
is properly equipped
• Groundspeak App $10
Garmin eTrex Venture-$169
How Does It Work?
• Using three satellites (trilateration), you should
be able to determine your exact position.
• Some variables include:
– Atmospheric Interference, etc.
*A typical hand held receiver gets within 5-15 feet.
How do I find a cache?
• Build an account on
Search by city, zip code, state, driving route,
(I usually search by zip code--15017)
Record the latitude and longitude coordinates
and read the hints!
• Get as close to the location as you can.
• Insert the coordinates into the GPS.
• Follow the compass until it gets to 0-10
• Use your “geosense” to find the cache.
When you find the cache…
• Sign the log book
• Trade items—Take something, leave
• Look for travel bugs and geocoins
• Be sure to put the cache back in the same
place you found it with the appropriate
amount of camouflage.