• The arrival of Rappler in 2012 paved the way
for the traditional media outfits to bolster
their online affiliates.
• It also paved the way for the arrival of these
so-called “standalone” news sites.
• Bloggers began getting invites to certain
product or venue reviews.
• Bloggers gained access to events with the
same press privileges as the traditional
• Simply put, blogs have slowly become
“independent” online media outfits.
• Eventually, some other passionate bloggers
and journos co-founded “indie” news sites.