The Implementation of the Special program in the Arts of the Secondary Schools of region 2
Dissertation ProposalROGER S. SEBASTIAN researcher
The Philippine Education System, in its thrust ofbeing globally competitive, continuously upgrades itsvarious program and curricula. In 2001 -The introductionof the Special Program in the Arts as a curriculum becamea National Program for students who have demonstratedtalents or potentials in arts. One pilot school in everyregion was selected to implement the program.. After thefive year implementation of the program to the 17 schoolsof the Philippines from 2001 to 2005 several schoolsfollowed in the full implementation of the program.
This curriculum innovation is the creationof a change and innovative culture that providesstudents to be more creative ,self-directed, talentedindividuals to become knowledge workers in theglobal market, thus , it was launched to preparestudents for a wide range of challenging careers, notonly for careers in the arts. Students who aspire to bewriters, actors, musicians, dancers, painters, oranimators, for example, are not the only ones whocan benefit from study of the arts.
The efficient and effective implementation ofthe Special Program in the Arts curriculum dependsa great deal on the support system that is provided tothe schools. There is a need therefore to conductmonitoring and assessment of the programparticularly on the attainment of objectives, teachercompetence, methodology, learning resources, venueand evaluation process in order to assess progressand provide intervention when necessary.
Figure 1. Research Paradigm INPUT PROCESS OUTPUTA.Profile of the respondents involved A. Evaluation on the extent in the SPA of implementation of SPA Age Objectives Efficient and Effective Gender Implementation of the Teacher competence Civil status Methodology SPA Highest educational attainment Learning resources Number of years in service Venue High quality Education SPA subjects being taught Evaluation Membership to organization rel.to B. Figuring out of thearts Action plan to improve problems encountered in Relevant trainings rel. to arts the implementation of SPA the delivery of the Awards received rel. to arts C. Evaluation on the Special Program in the possible solution to solve ArtsB. Guidelines set by the Department the identified problemsof Education in the implementation ofthe Special Program in the Arts FEEDBACK
Statement of the Problem1. What is the profile of the Special Program in theArts teachers and secondary school principals interms of : 1.1 age 1.2 gender 1.3 civil status 1.4 highest educational attainment 1.5 number of years in service 1.6 SPA subject being taught 1.7 membership in organization related to arts 1.8 relevant trainings related to arts 1.9 awards received related to arts
2. How do the teachers and principals evaluate theimplementation of the Special Program in the Artsas to: 2.1 objectives 2.2 teacher competence 2.3 methodology 2.4 learning resources 2.5 venue 2.6 evaluation3. Is there a significant difference between theevaluation of teachers and principals with respectto the variables mentioned in problem 2?
4. Is there a significant difference in the evaluationof the implementation of the Special Program inthe Arts by the respondents when groupedaccording to school?5. What problems are encountered by theteachers and principals in implementing theSpecial Program in the Arts?6. Based from the identified problems, whataction plan can be proposed to further improve theimplementation of the Special Program in theArts?
Hypothesis1. There is no significant difference between theevaluation of the SPA teachers and secondary schoolprincipals on the implementation of the SpecialProgram in the Arts in terms of : a. objectives b. teacher competence c. methodology d. learning resources e. venue f. evaluation2. There is no significant difference in the evaluationof the implementation of the Special Program in theArts by the respondents when grouped according toschool.
This study will focus on the assessment on theimplementation of the seven Special Program in theArts secondary schools of Region 2 . The respondents in this study are seventy four (74) teachers. seven (7) school principals of the SPA schoolsas of school year 2011-2012
The schools implementing the SPA in Region 2 are:•Nueva Vizcaya General Comprehensive High Schoolin Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya ;•Maddela Comprehensive High School in Maddela,Quirino;•Cauayan City National High School, Cauayan City;•Dona Aurora National High School, Aurora, Isabela;• Isabela National High School, Ilagan, Isabela;•Cagayan National High School, Tuguegarao City;•Lallo National High School, Lallo, Cagayan.
Methods of Research UsedThe study will use the descriptive –evaluativemethod of research utilizing a questionnaire to getthe assessment of the respondents on the extent ofimplementation of the Special program in the Artsin the secondary schools of Region 2
There are seven (7) secondary schools offeringthe Special Program in the Arts curriculum inRegion 2 that are recognized by the Departmentof Education Region 2.All the seven principals and the 74 teachers of thespecial arts courses will be consideredrespondents in the survey.Hence, purposive sampling procedure will beused in the selection of the respondents.
The instrument to be used in this study is theQuestionnaire which will be accomplished by theschool heads and SPA teachers. The first part willextract the profile of the respondents .The second part will gauge the extent ofimplementation of SPA curriculum along the areas ofattainment of objectives, teacher competence,methodology, learning resources, venue, andevaluation
A five point Likert Scale will be used to indicate theirassessment using the following verbal description, data willbe treated by means of frequency counts and assignmentsof weights to each category of responses. The categories ofresponses, weights, and scale of interpretation as follows: Point Scale Interpretation 5 4.50 – 5.00 Highly Implemented 4 3.50 – 4.49 Moderately Implemented 3 2.50 – 3.49 Implemented 2 1.50 – 2.49 Slightly Implemented 1 1.00 – 1.49 Not Implemented
1. Computation of frequencies, percentages, ranks andmeans will be used to present the profile of theteachers and principal respondents.2. To determine the extent of the implementation ofthe program with regards to selected variables whichare as follows: objectives, teacher competence,methodology, learning resources, venue, andevaluation, frequency of items and means will be used.
3. The Likert Scale based from the study conducted byDela Roca (2008) on the Implementation of the BasicEducation Curriculum of Batangas City, will be used.4. The Analysis of Variance ( ANOVA) will be usedto determine the significance in the evaluation of theimplementation of the Special Program in the Arts bythe respondents when grouped according to school.
5. t – test. This will be used to compare and to findout if significant difference exists between theevaluations of the two groups of respondents on theextent of the implementation of the Special programin the Arts curriculum with regards to the objectives,implementing guidelines, methodology, learningresources, teacher competence.6. Ranks in question number 2 will be used toidentify the problems