A field-programmable gate array (FPGA) is an integrated circuit designed to be configured by a customer or a designer after manufacturing—hence "field-programmable“FPGAs contain programmable logic components called "logic blocks", and a hierarchy of reconfigurable interconnects that allow the blocks to be "wired together"
WHAT IS IT….?
1. Well this is Raspberry Pi, a credit-card-sized single-board computer
developed in the UK by the Raspberry Pi Foundation with the intention
of promoting the teaching of basic computer science in schools
2. The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a registered educational charity based in
the UK. Foundation’s goal is to advance the education of adults and children,
particularly in the field of computers, computer science and related subjects.
3. Despite its diminutive device, Raspberry Pi is powerful enough to process many
of the same programs as PCs, from word processors to games. Its small size also
makes Raspberry Pi ideal for programming connected home devices.
HISTORY BEHIND PI:-
1. Eben Upton first came up with the idea for Raspberry Pi in 2006, when he and
his colleagues at the University of Cambridge’s Computer Laboratory were
frustrated by the dwindling number of students, and the poor skill levels of
those students, entering the program.
2. Upton wanted to create a cheap, easily programmable computer that would
bring back the experimental spirit of an earlier era of computing, by making a
device cheap enough so anyone could tamper with it without fear of expensive
Technical features of PI:-
Dimensions 8.6cm x 5.4cm x 1.7cm
Chip Broadcom BCM2835 SoC full HD multimedia
CPU 700 MHz Low Power ARM1176JZ-F
GPU Dual Core VideoCore IV®
Memory 512MB SDRAM
Ethernet on-board 10/100 Ethernet RJ45 jack
USB 2.0 Dual USB Connector
Video output HDMI (rev 1.3 & 1.4) Composite RCA (PAL
Audio output 3.5mm jack, HDMI
Onboard Storage SD, MMC, SDIO card slot
PI is available in two modules A and B
SYSTEM ON CHIP:-
1. The Raspberry Pi has a Broadcom BCM2835 system on a chip (SoC),which includes an
ARM1176JZF-S 700 MHz processor
2. The SoC is a Broadcom BCM2835. This contains an ARM1176JZFS, with floating point,
running at 700Mhz; and a Video core 4 GPU.
3. The GPU is capable of Blu-ray quality playback, using H.264 at 40MBits/s. It has a fast
3D core accessed using the supplied OpenGL ES2.0 and OpenVG libraries.
1. ARM11 is a family of ARM architecture 32-bit RISC microprocessor cores.
CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT:-
2. The ARM11 microarchitecture introduced the ARMv6 architectural additions which
had been announced in October 2001. These include SIMD media instructions,
multiprocessor support and a new cache architecture.
3. The implementation included a significantly improved instruction processing pipeline,
compared to previous ARM9 or ARM10 families, and is used in smartphones from Apple,
Nokia, and others
GRAPHIC PROCESSING UNIT:-
1. Video Core is a low-power mobile multimedia processor architecture originally developed
by Alphamosaic Ltd and now owned by Broadcom.
2. Its two-dimensional DSP architecture makes it flexible and efficient enough to decode as
well as encode a number of multimedia codecs in software, while maintaining low
3. The Video Core I-based VC01 provides video and multimedia capabilities to various
4. The VC02 / BCM2722 processor provides video capabilities for Apple's 5th generation iPod.
5. The Video Core III-based BCM2727 processor provides video, still and 3D graphics
capabilities for the Nokia N8.
6. The Video Core IV BCM2763 processor improves on the Video Core III with support for
1080p encode and decode, along with higher resolution camera support and faster 2D
and 3D graphics, all at very low power
Synchronous dynamic random access memory (SDRAM) is dynamic random access
memory(DRAM) that is synchronized with the system bus.
1. The module-A has 256 megabytes of SDRAM, Module-B later upgraded to 512MB.
2. It does not include a built-in hard disk , but uses an SD card for booting and long-term
3. All the files necessary for booting are installed in a FAT32 partition of the SD card.
The Raspberry Pi has to have an SD card installed to boot from, but a USB HD can
“take over” after the initial boot. You cannot boot without an SD card.
HOW IT HELPS US TO GET INTO
2. Normal motherboard cost around 6k to 7k without the processor But PI gives us board
with processor within 2k to 3k,so obviously Its very cheep, we don’t have to bother
about the cost, the cost problem is solved.
1. Once we got this board, we can connect the Accessories which is
necessary for us, so here we will get the clear picture inside the CPU, because we
are only assembling the computer, no one else.
3. We only need USB TO MICRO USB cable for power up the PI, no need of SMPS anymore ,
HARD DISK DRIVE is optional because it supports SD card as a secondary storage device
4. If the users bored with one operating system they can shift to another OS Only by changing
the SD card, it boots directly from SD card
Does it support windows OS?
1. No it won't, Because PI has only 512 MB RAM, that's why the inventors shift their eye
from Windows to linux(which takes the lower memory compare to windows)
2. The inventors of this board are providing linux based OS called RASBIAN at free of cost,
There are some other OS also available in the market to use PI for different purposes
3. It also supports linux platform operating systems.Ex:-Ubuntu, kali os, Node Zero etc.
How it helps us to get into programming..?
Learn to program in the BASIC programming language with the Tiny Basic interpreter for the
Raspberry Pi on Debian & Raspbian.
Python is a programming language that is available on the official Raspberry Pi operating
Scratch is an entry-level programming language that comes as standard with the Raspberry Pi
distribution, Raspbian. Scratch was originally created by the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at the
MIT Media Lab in Boston, U.S., with an aim to help young people learn mathematical and
computational concepts while having fun making things..
Java SE Embedded
Provides Full Java SE runtime for headless embedded applications
C & C++ programming information
It helps to know and execute C and C++ programming languages.
It provides Ruby programming application for the Raspberry Pi with tutorial and guides for
• Can be used for making super computers
• It can make your Old TV in to a smart TV. (You can play Videos, 3D
Games, Music, Browse Internet and much more.
• Raspberry Pi can Act as Full HD 1080p Media Player.
• Its a Mini Computer which just cost Rs.2,350/-
• You can connect a Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse and use it as a
• Its Graphics Capabilities is better than Apple Products.
Raspberry Pi 2020
● Exploit process scaling and keep price constant:
– 8 cores, improved GPU, 8GB main memory
– Wi-Fi, camera, matchbox sized case
– holographic laser projector, virtual keyboard
– FPGA logic on main SoC, high speed links, ….
– < $25
● Tablet version
● Interesting low-cost screen technologies emerging
● Brambles! (Networks of Raspberries)
• It does not have a Hard Disk associated with it for permanent storage pi files,
we have to connect one externally or have to use SD card for the purpose.
• The RAM is a POP package on top of the SoC, so it’s not removable or
• There is no Real time clock associated with the board. Adding an RTC is
expensive. You can add one yourself using the GPIO pins.
• Electronics For You, November 2012, Page 18